High-Risk Pregnancy

Lovenox users, come in, need advice/help please!!

I am post-partum, but my doctor has given me a prescription for Lovenox (40mg) that she wants me to take up until I am 6 weeks post-partum. I was given the injections in the hospital while in recovery, etc... but she had forgotten to write me a script for it at home, so when I saw her today she sent me home with the prescription for it.  I am on it basically as a preventative measure. I have several risk factors for blood clotting so she wants to do this as a precaution. I have never had to take blood thinners before - I don't have any inherited disorders or anything like that....

But anyway,

Please give me advice before I have my husband give me my first injection (it says in the abdomen)! Any/all advice is appreciated. I'm nervous. :(

My Pinterest
~L~
Mommy to 2 boys, ages 7 and 5 and a little girl who is 1.5

Re: Lovenox users, come in, need advice/help please!!

• Don't worry, they're not as bad as they sound.  Wink

I MUCH prefer using the "love-handle" area rather than my stomach.  Some people prefer to ice the ice for a few minutes before giving the shot, but it's never bothered me so much that I feel it's necessary.  I just clean the area, grab the skin, and inject. I've learned that injecting it slowly means I'm less likely to develop a bruise.

The biggest thing is to not rub it afterward!  You'll just end up with a gigantic bruise.

There are times when it stings, but it only lasts for a few seconds.  Make sure you alternate the sides where it is injected and try to avoid injecting into the exact same spot repeatedly.

Good luck!

• I don't ice.  I just squeeze really hard and inject really slow (pushing the plunger in, and to a lesser extent poking in the needle).  Ditto the not rubbing it after.  I usually just lie there for 15-20 minutes after just to be safe.

One other hint to to try pricking a couple of spots before actually inserting the needle.  Sometimes a spot 1mm over will hurt way less.

• Loading the player...
  • i am pregnant and im not on lovenox but i am on heparin injections asa  preventative measure due to me having a stroke at 14 wks preg so i do heparin injections twice a day and they arent as bad as you would think they are and id rather do mine myself as opposed to somebody else doing them i just pinch the skin and poke into the fatty tissue just like they showed me...the worst part is the ugly bruising but it goes away...be thankful you only get to do it for 6 weeks and not 6 more months lol be sure to rotate sides of your abdomen too
  • It really isn't that bad at all. Like pp said push it in slowly and don't freak out if you get a huge nasty bruise. It's just a broken blood vessel and absolutely nothing to worry about.
  • Hi there....don't be nervous. I have been on the shots for about 2 months now and there is not much to it. The trick for me has really been to inject REALLY slowly to avoid the bruising and the burn. Lovenox has a website that my doctor's office directed me to that shows you how to self inject. I do the injections sitting or standing. Key word....SLOW. Good luck!

https://www.lovenox.com/consumer/prescribed-lovenox/self-inject/inject-lovenox.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"