Northern California Babies
Options

Photographers - I have a couple of questions for ya!

DH has been researching DSLRs and was going to surprise me by coming home with one, so we had it before the baby came (he's so cute!)  But, he got scared and overwhelmed when they started asking him about accessories and the such.

So with idea in mind that this will be our "family" camera, what is a good lens(es) to get?  How big of a memory card should we start with?  HD video - yay or nay? (We have a FlipHD that we are perfectly happy with, just curious what your opinion is.) Anything else we should think about/consider?

I have a minor in photography, but I am so out of the loop since graduating, so your expertise is GREATLY appreciated!

Re: Photographers - I have a couple of questions for ya!

• Options

About a year ago, we got the Canon Rebel T1i, I LOVE it. They have since upgraded to the T2i with some general improvements. The T1i and T2i do allow for HD video, but we have never used it (we also have a HD Flip as well as an iphone with video capabilities) so looking back, we probably could have gotten away with a Canon Rebel Xsi. 

We started with the kit lens (a 18 - 55 mm, 3.5-5.6 f). It was great to start getting myself accustomed to the camera, and getting myself to go off auto and start using the camera in manual mode. I have since upgraded to a 50mm f1.4 lens, and I love it and use it almost exclusively. Its fabulous for baby photos and shooting indoors. A cheaper option is what is called the "nifty fifty" (for Canons) and its a 50 mm f1.8.

I shoot in RAW (not jpeg) which creates larger images and we have 2 8 GB cards, which seems to about about as large as they come. In RAW, this holds just over 300 photos and I've only needed both cards a handful of times. Shooting in RAW allows more editing options in a program like Lightroom (which I highly recommend!)  

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    I highly recommend the Canon Rebel. The main reason I choose it over Nikon is the fact that the lenses are much more affordable. To me the lens makes the difference and I like being able to add to my collection. I also recommend Lightroom, it's wonderful and I love it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i should add that we went with canon b/c my sis & bil also have a canon and we wanted to be able to swap/share lenses. 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    I'm a Canon girl, so this is helpful. Thanks!
  • Options

We have an XTi with both a kit lens and a nifty fifty.  I prefer the 50 for inside and shots of baby, though we only got it when DS was a year old so we missed a whole year of gorgeous close ups wtih lots of bokeh.  But I still use it all the time.  The kit lens is okay for other general shooting and DH prefers it.

We got a Canon because we both had Canon SLRs and wanted the option of using our old lenses. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"