Pre-School and Daycare

I need your opinion ladies

DD is 26 months She was potty trained over the summer. When she started the 2's class in Sept. she was still pooping in the potty. Now since last week she regressed and started pooping in her underwear. Dd is a pee pee potty pro, it's only the poop. Well I drop DD off at 7 in the morn and she is with a teacher (hers doesn't come until 8). The teacher wants me to put Dd in pullups because Dd poops in her underwear but I don't want her to regress. Please give me some advice. thanks
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I need your opinion ladies

• It's not totally unusual for kids to regress when it comes to poop, or to be ambivalent about pooping in the potty for a while, even if they're trained for pee.

It's tough for you because you don't want to move backwards on the potty training, but you also don't want to inconvenience the daycare unnecessarily.

I think there are 2 ways you might handle this, and which you choose depends on what you think your DD would do in response.

1.  Tell DD that it's up to her where she makes her poop, and that she can either make her poop in the potty or in a diaper, but not in her big girl underwear.  If she has to poop and doesn't want to go in the potty, it's okay to ask for a diaper.  Send a supply of diapers to daycare, have them take off her underwear when she asks for a diaper, put the diaper on her, let her poop in the diaper, then clean her up and put the underwear back on.  Hopefully the daycare would be willing to do this.

2.  Put her in a pullup for the morning, but send underwear for them to put on her once she has made her daily poop.

Either way, know that this phase won't last more than a few months.  

HTH!

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Thanks neverblushed! Is it possible that Dd will start peeing on herslef with the pullup again for wearing it that short time until her teacher comes?
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe, maybe not.  My son went through a stage where he was reluctant to poop in the potty, and it seemed that poop and pee were 2 totally different things to him.  I went the "you can ask for a diaper" route with him, and it did not cause him to regress with pee.  He continued to get more and more reliable about peeing even though he was asking for a diaper every time he had to poop.

If your DD seems to poop at the same time every day, maybe you or the daycare can make sure she empties her bladder just before her normal poop time, then put her in a pull up only until she poops.  Maybe you can avoid regressions with pee that way?

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Great thanks! I appreciate your help
  • Regression is a very normal part of potty training and can happen for a long time after 1st trained.  One of the teachers at my DD's school told me that she tends to see worse regressions in kids who trained at an earlier age.  I would go back to some type of reward system for pooping in the potty since she was previous trained.  Do a sticker chart, M&M's or whatever you think will work to remotivate your child.  I know when my older DD would have regressions, I could typically get her back on track within a few days to a week by going back to rewarding her.  I would do the reward thing for a week or two and then she would be fine.  She had 1 poop regression and 2 pee ones in her 1st year of being trained.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imageLaLaSweets:
    Thanks neverblushed! Is it possible that Dd will start peeing on herslef with the pullup again for wearing it that short time until her teacher comes?

My DD is totally day time pee trained but refuses to poop in the potty.  After 2 months of having her in undies, we decided to put her into pull-ups until she got the poop thing and she totally gets it.  She treats her pull-up just like undies for pee and keeps it dry but does poop in it.  In the morning, we make a big deal out of writing on her pull-up and she knows if she still has that same one on at bed time she gets a star on her chart.  I don't think I have change a pull-up for a pee accident in weeks, only for poop.  We did this about 3-4 weeks ago.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imagejlw2505:

imageLaLaSweets:
    Thanks neverblushed! Is it possible that Dd will start peeing on herslef with the pullup again for wearing it that short time until her teacher comes?

My DD is totally day time pee trained but refuses to poop in the potty.  After 2 months of having her in undies, we decided to put her into pull-ups until she got the poop thing and she totally gets it.  She treats her pull-up just like undies for pee and keeps it dry but does poop in it.  In the morning, we make a big deal out of writing on her pull-up and she knows if she still has that same one on at bed time she gets a star on her chart.  I don't think I have change a pull-up for a pee accident in weeks, only for poop.  We did this about 3-4 weeks ago.

So good to know! I was worried that the pull up would make her wanna per in them
  • I would keep her in underwear!  We never used pull ups and I will not be willing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"