Natural Birth
Options

Birth ball Q- really stupid

So I am delivering in a hospital and am wondering if I take the ball blown up into the hospital or bring the pump with us? Can you deflate the exercise ball without ripping it once you're finished? I know they have the small spot on them for pumps but I've never thought about deflating one. I'm having trouble picturing DH walking into L&D holding this massive exercise ball...
Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!

Re: Birth ball Q- really stupid

• Options

ask your hospital, but most hospitals do not allow them (stupid) and you have to bring them in delfated.  No idea on deflating....we have done it yet.  I blew it up for DD1's birth and never deflatedf it (she likes to bounce on it).

My birth ball was my lifeline for my birth.

• Options

First, you need to check with your hospital to see if they're allowed. A lot of hospitals cite "liability" ie they don't want to deal with you falling off and hitting your head, so they disallow them altogether, even though they're tremendously helpful.

Second, if you can, it's totally fine to take the pump with you--they're small and it only takes a few minutes to pump up.

Last, they're very sturdy, so you won't tear it up deflating it :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Now I don't feel so stupid!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    Call and ask - our hospital actually has several available to use (or they did 2 years ago when I took the birthing class there). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    After you blow it up there should be a plug to put in it, you just take that out to deflate it. If they let you bring it inflated, it may be easier that way. Mine took me about 20 minutes to blow up and my legs were killing me! If your SO had to keep stopping to help you it may take a long time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

my doula with my DS told us to deflate it just enough to fit into the car, not the whole way, so it'll take less time to pump it up - genius! We deflated my old one and stored it for years, I ended up getting a new one bc it sprang a leak, but I'm sure it was because it was old.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imagemomofolivia:

ask your hospital, but most hospitals do not allow them (stupid)

My birth ball was my lifeline for my birth.

That is so strange!  Why would they not allow them?  I had no idea as my hospital provided my birthing ball and birthing chair.  And I definitely agree... it was my lifeline, too!

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    on our hospital tour, they said it is a good idea to bring your own in case you do not like the size they have.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our hospital provides them, too. I'm not sure about sizes, though. I would imagine they're not extremely huge.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

If your hospital does allow them, definitely ask about sizes and availability! Each place we talked with said that they have the 65cm sort, but that's the only size they have. Since I'm long-waisted and short, I totally need the 55cm size for it to work well, so I'm bringing my own. Similarly, if you're taller than average, you'd want your own that's better sized for more fitting use.

And thank you to the pp who suggested deflating it a bit, but not all the way--that's a great idea!

Mother's Day, 2011
  • Options
    My hospital provides balls for us, they have two per room in case the coach wants to sit on one as well. If they didn't provide one, I'd just walk in with mine already blown up, as I recall it took a while to pump and I won't want to deal with that when I'm in labor (especially since I'm planning to labor at home as long as possible first).
  • Options
    I didn't call and ask, we just took mine already inflated.  And thank God we did, because there wasn't a room for us and we had to wait in the "waiting room" which was a hallway that had another family or two gawking at me.  If I'd had to sit in a chair, rather than sitting with my back to them on my ball, I don't think I'd have made it.  (Well, I would have walked around or found a spot on the floor to lie down or something).  Anyway, we didn't deflate at all.
  • Options
    A nurse offered me a ball, dissapreared for about 45 minutes... and then came back with the only one she could find that was underinflated too small and a chair frame it rests inside... she left to find a pump and never came back.  Oh well.  sounds like a good idea to bring your own ball and a pump- even if the hospital allegedly has them... I sure learned my lesson.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"