Natural Birth
Options

41 weeks + (induction ?)

So I've lurking here & there and have a question for you ladies. At what point do you feel induction is ok/warranted? 41 weeks? 42? 44? I don't want to be induced unless something is wrong with LO. If not, leave her there til she's ready. I am very leery of being induced (I don't want to be at all) but I keep seeing that the ob's & mw "won't let you" go past 40/41 weeks (with some exceptions to 42). Is this the reality of it?

Re: 41 weeks + (induction ?)

• Options

I had Lily at 43 weeks.  I was being monitored closely in the last week and everything looked great, so we waited.  

I don't know how long I would have let it go- I think you really can't say because every situation and every baby and Mama are different.

However, I can say that I would not allow an induction at 41 weeks for date reasons.  The average for first time Moms is 41 weeks 3 days, so the whole induction at 41 weeks makes no sense to me.  I think it has more to do with litigation, than it does with the actual health of Mom and babe. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

Assuming no concerns prior, I'm OK with being induced at 42 weeks. Before then, the risks of inducing outweigh the risks of waiting. Past that point, it's a toss-up. Induction is not the end of the world, especially that late in the game, so I'd rather err on the side of inducing when I should have waited, vs. waiting when I should have induced.

This assumes an accurately dated pregnancy, i.e. not one just calculated based on LMP! DS's EDD based on LMP was nearly two weeks earlier than his EDD based on ultrasound at 6 weeks. (And I know the ultrasound was accurate because I charted, and knew my conception date.) Obviously, I would not have been OK inducing at 42 weeks per LMP, because that was really only 40 weeks 1 day!

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am okay with starting the induction process at 41 weeks and 6 days (the day I was induced!).  Any sooner than that and they will have to handcuff me and drag me to the hospital.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    Well I'm really trying to avoid a repeat c/s, so my VBAC provider won't do anything until after 42 weeks.  I know people go further, but I'm already driving around an hour to go to a provider that "allows" 42 weeks in the Chicagoland area. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

With the midwives I was with during my first pg, they claimed they didn't induce until real postdates, so 42 weeks (though I went through an induction scare myself for low AFI at 41 weeks, so I wonder how often they have women get that far?). With this practice, I think they wait til 42 weeks, but I'm a VBAC, so they're pushing repeat c-section at 41 weeks.

I just think providers are too quick to want to induce for no reason other than being over 40 weeks...there's some insane fact that the average length of pregnancy in the US is a good week+ shorter than it was years ago. And unless someone was charting or had an IF procedure to get pregnant, no one's 100% sure when they conceived (I know within a week, but that's it), so there's the risk you're inducing too early. I definitely fall in the wait-and-see camp, or at the least women really, really need to be treated on a case-by-case basis, not by a "OMG, you're 40 weeks, induuuuuuce!" policy.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    My MW told me that they would allow me to go to 42 weeks. I charted and I know the day I o'd. But I hadn't realized how much that helps me in the long run!! Thanks ladies! I just charted bc I'm anal like that! :)
    Our active toddler: Born March 14, 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Excited for version 2.0: BFP- 10/8/12 EDD: June 21, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Personally for me, 42 weeks, although if I approached that I'd probably discuss things with my provider.  Past that point, though, I would require some good assurance that everything was ok - placenta was holding up, baby was not stressed, etc.  However, I already know that my doctor wouldn't encourage me going past that, so...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My midwives don't consider inducing until 42 weeks. If I go longer than 42 I think I will be really eager for an outside baby, and not resist being induced.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it should be evaluated on a case by case basis. I would be very comfortable going to 42+ weeks if I were in perfect health, but considering some issues I've been having I am very pleased my doctor is allowing me to go up to 41 weeks. I've got just over a week to get LO out on his own now....
  • Options
    thye wont let u go past 43. Have u tried acupressure. there is a pint on feet or anlkle area that u can press to induce labor, I did that with  deep massges on my back by DH, Walked aorund the mall, ate spicy stuff and talked to LO to come out Im Done. It worked for me. Hopefully ull be delivering soon. Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"