Attachment Parenting
Options

Not owning a stroller?

This is probably a dumb question, but my LO is not due until January, so I thought I would come to the BWing experts.

I really want to BW as much as possible, and I like the idea of not getting a stroller at all. They just seem so inconvenient, cumbersome, and I just would rather have my LO close to me. (Not a safety issue, I just like the idea.) 

Problem is, I feel like maybe I'm being naive thinking I don't need a stroller. Are there situations in which a stroller has a big advantage over BWing? Or is it common for people who BW to NOT have a stroller? I guess one thing to consider is that I would need to also carry the diaper bag around with me instead of sticking it in the bottom of the stroller.

Does anyone have any advice for me? TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not owning a stroller?

• Options

I'm not much further along than you, but I plan on getting a stroller. Although I'll be BWing most of the time, I just think a stroller would come in handy when going on extra long walks. We walk a lot, and 5 miles each way with a 30 pound kid on your back, although do-able, probably isn't the best thing for my body. 

So I guess it's the "special occasion" stroller. It's this one:  

Not too bulky, but not as flimsy as most umbrella strollers. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options

We have a stroller we got for free from friends and so far I've used it twice. Both times were when I was just cleared to go after my c-section and I was worried about carrying DS for long walks. Since then we haven't used it once. Now when I walk to town I throw changing supplies in my Jansport backpack and away we go. No trouble. DS is 12.5lbs now and a return trip to town with walking about is about 10kms. Our Moby is super comfy!

I would probably not bother buying a stroller and if you decide you need one after LO is born you can get one then. I guess it really depends where you live and what your lifestyle is.

imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can see not having a stroller when your baby is small. But my life would be impossible without one for a toddler! DD wants to walk everywhere we go now, so she's constantly in and out. I run every morning, so obviously I can't BW for that. On most walks we take, she sits in her stroller so she can eat snack.(If anyone has a way for LO to eat a snack while BWing, please share!)

I think it's definitely do-able to not use a stroller for the first year. It's not something you need before your LO is born if you're planning to BW.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Strollers definately have thier time and place. For example I'm planning to get a jogging stroller soon to ease back into working out. I also have a Maclaren umbrella stroller that I have as a just in case I ever need it type of thing. It's really up to you and your lifestyle.
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • Options

I think a lot of it has to do with lifestyle and what activities you think you'll do with LO.

I have a pram, a pouch sling and a couple of wovens that I like to use in various settings:

Pram: I regularly walk LO up to the local library and use the undercarriage for books.

I like using the pram for when I'm clothes shopping, as getting LO in and out of a wrap and then having nowhere to put whilst I try on clothes is a hassle. 

One time I took LO to a place where you paint your own piece of ceramic and get it glazed, with a group of other Mums. LO slept in her pram beside me  and my hands and front were free to do the painting.

Sling: I love for running quick errands into shops etc. but not for longer carries.

Woven: I love for longer periods of time.

So I guess I like having a range of things I can use to suit the situation. I got my pram second hand so I only paid a small amount for it. I also got one where you can change the handle so that baby either looks at you or at the world. That way baby can always see me when we go out walking or to the shops, and I talk to her as we go. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    DD mainly uses the stroller when we walk the dog because the walks can be long and I don't like bending down to the ground while wearing her to pick up poop.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice - you guys brought up some things I never even thought about. Maybe I will hold off on buying one until LO is born and then see how things go.
  • Options

We have two strollers.  A running stroller and an 'everyday' stroller. 

The running stroller has been used every day since she was 3 months old and big enough for it. 

The 'everyday' stroller was barely used at all for the first 10ish months of her life.  I even contemplated selling it (it's a Bugaboo, so I could probably get decent cash for it), but the ladies here talked me out of it.  Now I'm very glad I have it, since DD is getting very heavy and she will be walking soon and will want in/out all the time.  I usually still wear her if I'm by myself (so I can have my hands free) but if I'm with DH, we use the stroller quite often. 

In other words, I think you could get by without one for quite some time.  But it could come in handy on occasion, and you will likely use it frequently once you reach the toddle stage :)

ETA:  I forgot to mention that my DH is not a BWer, so he used the stroller every time he took DD anywhere.  He goes places with her alone much more frequently now that she's older, but it was nice to have for him on occasion when she was little.  Just another factor to throw out there :)

• Options

For us, the stroller was not used once until he was like 4 months old.  I felt like he was way too far away from me.  Then I started using the jogging stroller to go on walks and that's been nice.  Now that he is almost one, he is getting a bit too heavy to carry all the time, so an umbrella stroller is becoming more and more necessary.

So, I would hold off on getting one until your LO is here and you know if you will need it or not. 

• Options
    I am not a huge fan of strollers (though we do have some) but I think there are instances when they are helpful. Especially during the newborn stage, I liked being able to transfer a sleeping baby in his carrier to the stroller without disrupting sleep. I also liked having one at the beach this summer though it wasn't a necessity. I would suggest you get a simple snap and go so you can use it with your infant car seat and then if you find you want a stroller down the line you can always order one then.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options

imageTapper76:
    Thanks for all the advice - you guys brought up some things I never even thought about. Maybe I will hold off on buying one until LO is born and then see how things go.

Or do what I'm doing and add it to a registry so someone else can buy it for you ;P 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options

Things you cannot do while BW'ing:

-Eat hot foods/ sometimes eating in general is difficult depending on what your eating while bw'ing/ what wrap/sling you are using

-Run/jog/exercise

-Try on clothes. If you are a shopper (I am) you cannot easily take your LO shopping and try on clothes while bw'ing

- Take very long walks. Or at least for me, after an hour or so my back starts to hurt!

For all of these occasions a good stroller has been essential. I bw often, and I love it, but sometimes it's not practical.  

• Options

I live in a very urban area and we rarely drive. In fact, we are about to sell our car and just use a car co-op. For us a stroller was a must as we do
    our grocery shopping with it and go on long walks (5-10k) several times a week.

We have the UPPA Baby Vista, a second hand jogging stroller, Ergo, BabyHawk and Moby. Love and use them all.

That said, if I were you I may hold off and get a stroller when you actually need one. We could have easily waited till DS was 3 or 4 months before buying one if we didn't use it for grocery shopping.

• Options
    We also had an infant capsule and snap'n'go wheels, which we hired. It was fabulous to be able to put LO in and out of the car and not wake her.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I love to BW, but personally I also love having a stroller for a couple of different things.  First, when we go to the grocery store, target, etc its fine to wear DS, but if I'm going clothes shopping, its just not practical to wear him.  Second, I live in the south and it is H-O-T!  So if I ever want to go for a fitness type walk, we are both much cooler if he is in his stroller.  Finally, when he was really little, he was perfectly content to be worn or sit in his car seat when we went out to eat, but now he prefers to look around and be able to move a little.  The stroller is perfect for this!  He loves sitting in it and if he gets a little bored or fussy while we eat, pushing it back and forth usually calms him down.  HTH!
  • Options

I am a runner, so a jogging stroller is important for me once the baby can be in one for a run (sitting unassissted).

I have a hand-me-down travel system stroller that I didn't use much with DD, but am using more with DS because he has to go to the gym daycare while I teach classes and it provides a nice space for him to nap (since it reclines flat).  I've also used it a bit this summer when we're out and about doing activities for DD because it's been so hot to wear him (and he weighed in at 20 lbs. at 4 months).

I rarely used a stroller except the jogger with DD, though.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Options

I'd say wait and see what your needs are.  I've never used a stroller except for running thus far - kiddo is 27 pounds now and I still wear him a couple miles a day while we walk the dogs.  He does want up and down a lot when we are out and about but I just use quick carries for those times.  Unless I'm going to be away from the car for a long time, I don't really carry much with me so a diaper bag hasn't ever been a big problem.

Nothing wrong with strollers of course ;-)  But if you want to wear a lot, I'd wait and see what your stroller needs are - so you know how much to invest and what style makes the most sense for you.

• Options
    We planned on mostly BWing but got a Bob for when we'd need it. Ari hated it, so we sold it 2 months ago. We may pick up another stroller eventually if we see that we need it, but he just prefers walking or being worn. I use ring slings out & about almost exclusively now since he's in that up/down stage.
  • Options

Not every baby likes to be worn.  My DD hated the Moby, will tolerate the Ergo for short periods, and is okay in the Maya Wrap but it's not a great carrier for long distances.  She loves the stroller though.  She's just not a cuddly baby; never has been.

Also, if you need to take your baby shopping for example, it's not very convenient to always wear her.  What if you're trying on clothes or something?  You need a place to put the baby.  Or if you're going to a doctor appointment...  Actually I can think of a ton of situations where babywearing isn't the most convenient.

So IMO yes, you do need a stroller. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesunnyday016:

(If anyone has a way for LO to eat a snack while BWing, please share!)

One of M's carriers has toy straps on the back.  I once used a carabiner to attach a snack cup.  M loved it but I ended up with errant bunny grahams down my back. 

To the OP, a stroller (like most baby gear) can definitely be a wait and see type thing.  If you do decide you need one, odds are you wouldn't need to wait more than one or two days to get the one you want delivered.   

If you maybe don't need one until toddlerhood the features (like a snack/drink holder) are far different that what you might buy thinking of a newborn and you may save yourself some money/space in the long run.

• Options
    Do you like to walk?  We use our jogger almost every day (twice a day in nice weather sometimes!) for walks around the neighborhood.  A stroller may not be a necessity right away for a newborn, but when your baby is a little older (but not walking yet), you may want one then.
  • Options
    We had a stroller for DS last winter, I was working as a nanny and needed 2 hands for the kids and Ovi.  So a stroller was a must.  I will say that we traveled to Europe and I left the stroller there, leaving us without one in the states.  I honestly do not miss it at all!
    AP, BWing, BFing, CDing, VBAC, Crunchy Mama to my handsome little 2 year old and squishy newbie! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Babywearing Leader to the DuPage Slingers www.DuPageSlingers.Blogspot.com
  • Options

A stroller is definitely a wait and see item. When I was pregnant, I thought I had to load up on everything baby, and that was really not the case. DS hates the stroller. We've used it occassionally only because we had it, but I typically end up wearing him. When I have needed a stroller like at the zoo, mall, etc., I've rented one. He still doesn't really like it, but it made carrying shopping bags/cameras/etc. easier.

I have an Ergo, which has a pocket on it. I can put everything in there that I need for baby. I have also carried a purse with a carrier on, and the essentials fit in there. I've very very rarely carried a diaper bag. That is another item that I've seen as a huge waste.

Like the others said, it will all depend on your lifestyle. I love loading up the car and just throwing the carrier in the back instead of a huge stroller, diaper bag, etc. I also walk the dog using the carrier (and Ergo) and I haven't had any problems. It has been easier for me than a stroller.

Now that DS is getting so big, I'm tempted to get a cheap umbrella stroller, but I'm still not sure if we would really use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"