Blended Families
Options

Birthday for problematic teen SS

I need some ideas on how to help celebrate my SS's bday.  He has been having lots of problems, hating us, a legal issue, and more.  We are trying to work things out with him and he's finally been spending the weekends at our house again :)  ...but still hates us :( 

Because of his troubles, it's a horrible idea for him to be given cash.  If we ask what he wants for his bday, he'll say cash.  I want to try and make this bday special just because it was a really tough year.  I figure hubby can take him out to a restaurant of his choice for a nice dinner (I likely won't go as he hates me more and it'll be better for dad and son to be alone).  I'll buy a nice cake for us to have at the house.  I'll get a nice card.  What else can we do?  He doesn't have any decent interests unfortunately.  I was thinking giftcards but am I crazy to think he may sell them for cash?  I can do giftcards for itunes and starbucks.  Thoughts or ideas?

Re: Birthday for problematic teen SS

• Options
    How old is he turning?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That is hard, because at that age he will probably hate whatever you get him, if it is something he didn't ask for. :(

Other than just giving him cash, can your dh take him shopping to pick something out?  My son is turning 19 next month and cash is usually what he gets from me, and clothes.

• Options
    imagebebe11:

That is hard, because at that age he will probably hate whatever you get him, if it is something he didn't ask for. :(

Other than just giving him cash, can your dh take him shopping to pick something out?  My son is turning 19 next month and cash is usually what he gets from me, and clothes.

This. Also, gift cards are always a great idea. Itunes and Starbucks rock! I'd also say that if he's a driver gift cards to gas stations are always greatly appreciated.

• Options

What about taking him somewhere... football game?, hockey game?  a show?  Some monster truck rally?  a concert?

My nephew (who is 19) will sell gc's for cash.  It is what it is.  I try to get him things he needs if we find out what they are-like jeans, etc...

HTH!

• Options
    imageWickedCoolSM:

What about taking him somewhere... football game?, hockey game?  a show?  Some monster truck rally?  a concert?

My nephew (who is 19) will sell gc's for cash.  It is what it is.  I try to get him things he needs if we find out what they are-like jeans, etc...

HTH!

last thing he'd want to do is be with hubby or I.  I think even the dinner may be pushing it. 

• Options

why not cash?  that is what he wants, so give it to him. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

If you are worried about cash because he is into drugs - then I understand.  But, I have to say, I was a troubled teenager - and I hated my Dad and his wife from about 13 - 21.  No matter what he tried to do for my birthday - I didn't like it.  I didn't want to have dinner with him, didn't want cake, just wanted to be left alone (I regret some of these decisions as an sdult).

Don't give him money if you suspect drugs or other legal issues.  I like the gas gift cards - If he drives, he's more likely to use them.  Starbucks and iTunes is a great idea also - everyone needs coffee and music.  I love Wawa gift cards also - but I don't know if you live in Wawa world (PA, NJ, DE, MD)

Any other gift cards he would sell for money (clothing stores, what not).

Good luck - I know how frustrating it is to be hated.  Just keep your chin up - you are at least trying to do the right thing, and most likely, as an adult - he'll eventually realize that!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"