Preemies
Options

any advice about limiting visitors? (vent)

I am definitely venting here..... 

My girls were born at 32 weeks.  One DD was 3# and my other DD was 4#.  My one DD is home on oxygen, a cardiac monitor, and a pulse ox.  I am getting SO SICK and TIRED of people wanting to come by to "see" the babies.... or drop off gifts... (I see this as an excuse to 'see' the babies too...)

I don't want any gifts.  I am swamped busy all day feeding and cariing for my 2 girls...and the last thing I have time for is to sit down and write thank you notes for gifts I don't want or need.  I am not trying to sound ungrateful, but I want ppl to go away and leave us alone.  And....after we allowed visitors in the beginning....we all got sick!!Ick!  My DH, myself and our 2 girls all had fevers, vomiting and bad colds. 

People have NO CLUE that our babies are preemies....and they are more at risk for catching colds/flu etc.  They act like just because we have been home for a month that the girls are "ok". 

Any advice for how you were able to limit visitors?  TIA

TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: any advice about limiting visitors? (vent)

• Options
    You just have to be blunt. Tell them that you are not comfortable with visitors and that your babies getting sick means hospital time. Tell them the Pedi said no visitors except immediate family. Anyone who cares will understand and anyone who doesn't can F off.
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • Options

When we came home, I posted something like this on my Facebook page:

"After a challenging NICU stay, Dalton is finally home and doing well. His job now is to grow and to stay infection-free, so we'll be in hiding for a while, but we'll be posting updates and pictures on FB. Thanks so much for your continual thoughts and prayers!"

For the most part, people understood our wishes. When they seemed a little unclear, I was always quick to say "Like I said in my Facebook post, we're going to be out of circulation for a while, probably until spring. Exposing Dalton to infections that would likely put him back in the hospital isn't worth it."

It may sound a little rigid and cold, but I'm sticking with this line of communication to make sure everyone gets the message. 

Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even allow immediate family to visit. Too risky. Get an answering machine and screen all calls. Your outgoing message should say doctors are not allowing ANY visitors. If people show up on your doorstep, don't answer the door (get a peephole). TTC for 12 years! You deserve the utmost respect from those misguided well-wishers. 

Also, use careful disinfection of everyone who does come in the house: DH, your older child. Make sure they thoroughly wash their hands for 30 seconds before touching anything in the house. Have them carry antibacterial handwipes and use them several times a day, remind them to keep their hands away from their face. And if they get sick, ship them off until they're well, like to grandma's. 

You're absolutely correct in your instincts. Stick to your guns, mama. 

• Options

Have very strict and defined rules, make those rules known, and stand up for you and your babies!!

Good luck!!!!

• Options
    I sent out an email telling people not to call or stop by. It worked. If anyone was offended, they kept it to themselves.
  • Options

Thank you everyone. 

My sister and her teenage kids were most offended when I asked for ppl to not stop by for a while....  She will have to get over it.  I just know her kids are exposed to tons of germs at school.

TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebhaynietippitt:

When we came home, I posted something like this on my Facebook page:

"After a challenging NICU stay, Dalton is finally home and doing well. His job now is to grow and to stay infection-free, so we'll be in hiding for a while, but we'll be posting updates and pictures on FB. Thanks so much for your continual thoughts and prayers!"

For the most part, people understood our wishes. When they seemed a little unclear, I was always quick to say "Like I said in my Facebook post, we're going to be out of circulation for a while, probably until spring. Exposing Dalton to infections that would likely put him back in the hospital isn't worth it."

It may sound a little rigid and cold, but I'm sticking with this line of communication to make sure everyone gets the message. 

Good Luck!

Yes

I think this is perfect. I am a very blunt person though and I would have NO problem at all saying this or something along those lines. Even if our boys are born healthy, i don't want to risk them being exposed to anything (especially since they will be born in the wintertime) and we are not allowing visitors besides very close family and friends for at least a month. After that, I will slowly introduce others.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"