Military Families
Options

Child development center

i tried googling this first, even looking for a phone number to call, but couldn't find anything. 

I'm still expecting, but am wondering about the rates for the military child development center.  I know it goes by rank of the sponsor, is it different at every base? We're in Groton, CT, if anyone has info on it.  Do they offer part-time and full-time daycare? I was thinking of just heading over there to get more info, but I didn't think they'd let me in or have anyone in front just waiting for visitors, would they?

Also, has anyone used those fee-assisted daycare programs before? 

Any info is much appreciated!! thank you!!

Re: Child development center

• Options
    I don't have any specific answers for you, but you can always call ACS and they'll give you the correct phone number.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • Options

You should be able to walk right in, I've been to the at our current location, the one in Corpus Christi and in Italy.  I went right into to both of them to get information and pick up application.  The ones I have been in all had a front desk that was attended that was separate from the classrooms.

Oh and a little advice, put in the application as early as possible because there maybe and probably is a waiting list ):

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Most CDC's have a reception desk at the front. They should be able to answer your questions or point you to where to get more information. From what I understand though, I think it is just full-time daycare offered. I don't think they offer part-time or drop-in. Although it would certainly be nice if they did. I also think that the rate is a standard set by the DOD, so it should be the same on every base/post, but I could be wrong.
    Long time Waiting BFP 5/8/10 It's a Boy! 1/7/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Graphics
  • Options
    Oh and there is also in-home daycare, usually in base housing.  They have to be certified through the CDC to operate and there can be a waiting list for that too....we are still on it after four months ):
  • Options

imagefrostyprincess24:
    Most CDC's have a reception desk at the front. They should be able to answer your questions or point you to where to get more information. From what I understand though, I think it is just full-time daycare offered. I don't think they offer part-time or drop-in. Although it would certainly be nice if they did. I also think that the rate is a standard set by the DOD, so it should be the same on every base/post, but I could be wrong.

The one here and the one in Corpus Christi both offered drop in daycare, but it goes by the hour, and you can only do it a certain amount of hours a week (I think 20max) and it is space available by age.

• Options
    imagetat2mommy:

imagefrostyprincess24:

The one here and the one in Corpus Christi both offered drop in daycare, but it goes by the hour, and you can only do it a certain amount of hours a week (I think 20max) and it is space available by age.

Ours does hourly care also, as well as at Fort Hood.  I take my kids in once a week for about 4 hours while DH is deployed so I can get some adult time and get a break.  I've actually never heard of a childcare program on a military base that doesn't offer hourly and part-time daycare options.  (Not saying they don't exist, just saying I haven't heard of them.)

• Options

thanks for all the info!! i never would've thought the daycare would have a receptionist desk in front, but it makes sense! i'll have to go tomorrow and check it out.  I read an article in the "navy times", that because they just built a new one here, there's not a waiting list anymore, and actually have 80 empty spots after the waitlist! I'm more worried about the cost, so we'll see!!

Thanks again! You all were very helpful!

• Options
    You can call or go to your local CYS and get the rates and find out if there is a waiting list.  Applying for care is done through them not the actual center anyways.  Here in WA and in Germany they have hourly care.  In Germany there was part time but not until the child is 2 I think.  It was 2 days a week for a few hours then once they were a little older it was 3 days a week for a few hours.
  • Options

https://www.defense.gov//news/newsarticle.aspx?id=60249

This link has the new rates based on income.

Our CDC on Camp Pendleton has part time care for toddlers.  They also have drop in care, which is awesome.  The fee is $4 per hour regardless of rank.  If your child is there during meal time it is $1 for breakfast, $2 for lunch and 50 cents for snack.   You can use the drop in option for up to 85 hours per month.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    From reading the other replies, it sounds like every CDC is different.  I worked on the CDC at our current base for a little over a year.  The rates depended on your total family income, not just your husband's rank.  As far as the waiting list, mil-mil get top priority, then a working spouse, then I think maybe someone who is going to school...I don't remember exactly, but it was very difficult to get a spot.  You had to go in while you were pregnant and get your child placed on the un-born waiting list.  The front desk clerk should be able to help you.  Also, there was no part-time care.  You paid for full-time no matter how long your child was there.  They did have "rental" spots that you could rent from other parents when they were on leave or sick that day. 
  • Options

imagejenbabe007:
    From reading the other replies, it sounds like every CDC is different.  I worked on the CDC at our current base for a little over a year.  The rates depended on your total family income, not just your husband's rank.  As far as the waiting list, mil-mil get top priority, then a working spouse, then I think maybe someone who is going to school...I don't remember exactly, but it was very difficult to get a spot.  You had to go in while you were pregnant and get your child placed on the un-born waiting list.  The front desk clerk should be able to help you.  Also, there was no part-time care.  You paid for full-time no matter how long your child was there.  They did have "rental" spots that you could rent from other parents when they were on leave or sick that day. 

This plus your child will have to be reg. into CYS before being taken at the CDC, if they are not born yet they just hold a slot and when they arrive and you have the paperwork you can get them reg.   Also the baby has to be 6weeks before they can be in care.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"