Houston Babies

Pro-VBAC OBs and Hospitals

Hi,

Has anybody had VBAC done here in Houston (and surroundings)?  If so, which hospital did you go to and who was your OB?

I'm 18 weeks pregnant with my second child and just did a hospital tour last Wednesday.  The nurse that gave the tour told me during our chat that they hardly do VBAC there and that I should be prepared for another c-section.  That's concerning to me.  I'd really like to try VBAC.  I just moved here from California. Both my OBs in CA told me I had a really good chance at doing in naturally this time.  However, after some research it seems that not many hospitals and OBs in Houston are doing VBAC any more.  Is that true?  What has been your experience?

Thanks!

Tussany

Re: Pro-VBAC OBs and Hospitals

• Thanks, Kelley!  You have a very beautiful family.  So did you end up with another c-section with your second?  I live in Sugar Land and would like to stay in the area.  It sounds like it will be tough to find an OB that will perform vbac here, though :<
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a friend that tried to do an at home birth and ended up with a C-section (she lives in Sugarland) and it looking at having to go to The Woodlands to find a doctor that will do a VBAC.  Kelley's links are probably your best source of information. 

Welcome to Houston! Goodluck in your search for a doctor. 

• Dr. Joy LeBlanc has offices in Clear Lake and Pearland - she is proVBAC.
  • imageKarey08:
    Dr. Joy LeBlanc has offices in Clear Lake and Pearland - she is proVBAC.

A friend of mine has had two VBACs with Dr. LeBlanc. I have heard that most (maybe all?) of the doctors in her practice are proVBAC too.  I will probably switch to her practice if/when we have our 2nd baby.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageAbbyMae:

imageKarey08:
    Dr. Joy LeBlanc has offices in Clear Lake and Pearland - she is proVBAC.

A friend of mine has had two VBACs with Dr. LeBlanc. I have heard that most (maybe all?) of the doctors in her practice are proVBAC too.  I will probably switch to her practice if/when we have our 2nd baby.

That! :)

There is also the BIRTH fair coming up this weekend. I think that ICAN will be there, I KNOW that some reps will be if they aren't. You would also have the chance to talk to a bunch of MWs, doulas, and CBEs that would have more recommendations if you came  by. :) Just an idea. 

Welcome to Houston!! 

• I had a VBAC last year with Dr Hector Del Castillo at Memorial Hermann in the med center.

I highly recommend joining the Houston-Galveston ICAN yahoo group, they helped me a lot.

It's true that there are very few OBs in Houston who do VBACs.

- Jena
  • imageTussany:
    Thanks, Kelley!  You have a very beautiful family.  So did you end up with another c-section with your second?  I live in Sugar Land and would like to stay in the area.  It sounds like it will be tough to find an OB that will perform vbac here, though :<

Thank you!  I actually had vaginal deliveries both times.  I had placenta previa with my second pregnancy (that thankfully resolved itself) and we were talking about having a c-section for a long time.  It was a concern of mine if we decide to have a third...I needed to know if my OB would do it...and she would not. She's VERY conservative and it's too risky for her. 

Hope you find the perfect doctor for you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"