Parenting after 35

WTF? Massive Boy related vent inside

As much as I hate to admit it, my son  is a bit high maintenance. He's charming and good natured, but he's always been clingy and cuddly as well. That said, he's also always been reasonably good at playing by himself for short periods of time and waiting patiently if I'm out of reach(as long as he can see me) for a few minutes.

Not today. He's been on top of me constantly. He holds onto my legs whenever  I walk anywhere, always wants to be picked up, always wants to be cuddled, screams when I'm in the kitchen.  And he's stepped up the diaper change wrestling to where it takes me 10 minutes to change a freakin' diaper.

What gives?

I'm exhausted!

Re: WTF? Massive Boy related vent inside

• We are going through the same thing! And, when we drop him off at daycare, he goes completely nutso. But then, a few minutes later, he becomes attached at the hip to one of the teachers. He cries when she leaves the room or holds another kid. Poor girl!

Hopefully this is a short-lived thing!

• We went through the same thing too when K was M's age.  That is when I started having the bad, trips-to-urgent-care-to-get-shots-in-my-butt sciatica problems.  Because Keira wanted to be carried around ALL THE TIME when I was, so I toted her around on my hip enough to cause injury.  She would not let me put her down.

I think he'll grow out of it.  I was forced to start refusing to carry K around, but instead of picking her up, I would go down to her more often.  But she still has those leg clinging moments, and I'm kind of glad because I can't help but think about the fact that in the future she's going to think I'm hopelessly uncool.

ETA:  She has NOT outgrown the kicking and trying to get up when I'm changing her diaper.  I think the only cure for that will be getting her completely potty trained. Sad

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, girls! I was pretty sure it's some developmental nightmare that they all go through, but it's still nice to hear that I'm not alone - that it is, indeed, some horrible developmental thing all toddlers go through.

::Gets ready to IM DH and request beer after work::

• imagestever:

LOL. Amen sister. 

Orchid has stopped being quite so bad about that, but she has days when i want to crawl up the wall to get some breathing space. I am sure once she is in daycare, she will be even worse. I know I will really miss it when she is "over me" though.

• imageKandie35:
    imagestever:

LOL. Amen sister. 

Orchid has stopped being quite so bad about that, but she has days when i want to crawl up the wall to get some breathing space. I am sure once she is in daycare, she will be even worse. I know I will really miss it when she is "over me" though.

That exactly! 

• wow, you just described my son, exactly!
    image Liam Henry: 9/5/09 Emmeline Claire: 5/23/11
  • Exact same thing here. Getting him in and out of clothes is pure torture, I have to fight him all the way. The only thing that saves me (sometimes) is giving him new things to play with while I change him. Especially if it's something that I normally don't let him have, if it's forbidden, then he loves it more!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • I know this sounds completely off the wall, but I envy you.  My Liam is so independent and he is NOT a snuggler at all...  I treasure the moment when he's just too tired to care and gives into sleeping on my chest or wants me to hold him constantly.

I know the other extreme is likely just as frustrating though :)  Hope he lets up for you soon :)

• Definitely the age. You just described Fiona on certain days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"