Parenting after 35

High chair dilemma...

We MUST buy Logan a high chair. So far we've been able to make it with him in the swing. That time is just about over. First, he moves around too much now so the swing moves. Second, he can't learn to feed himself in the swing because the tray isn't big enough. Third, I'd like to keep the swing as food free as possible. :)

Here is the dilemma. I really like all of the portable booster seats/space savers, but we don't have a dining room table. Which means we don't have any chairs.  The dining room table I had before we moved here was huge so I just left it with my dad. We never bought one and the house we are in now is just too small for one, esp with a swing & pack n play taking up room.

We could get a regular size high chair or buy a chair and then get a space saver. I can't decide if that seems stupid. :) I was also liking the fact that we would buy a space saver one pretty cheap, but if we have to buy a chair it's not going to be cheap anymore.

What do you think???

ETA: Does anyone have this high chair? It's compact which I assume would be like the space savers/boosters. Plus it's flat fold.

https://www.coscojuvenile.com/usa/eng/Products/For-The-Home/High-Chairs/Details/1945-03354ALK-Flat-Fold-High-Chair

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: High chair dilemma...

• I have a high chair for DS, and it does take up a lot of a space.  We also have this Fisher Price Booster:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002VZ21E/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000DEW8N&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0NFJR9DDC91TCYAWQ14T

It's great for taking places, fits on chairs, but if you don't have a chair it can also be used it on the floor.  It adjusts height-wise, so it would give you some time until LO was too tall to use it on the floor.

Also - I've seen people w/those chairs that attach to a table.  Do you eat at a counter or something?  Would one of those attaching chairs fit on that?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • DH and I just sit on the couch or living room chair to eat. I had wondered about just putting it on the floor, but wasn't sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you have an Ikea nearby?

We have (two of) this highchair. We love it...

20 bucks... and for another 5 you can get a tray to attach to it...

like this:

and, if you're super short on space, the legs come off for quick and easy out of the way storage.

The Girl is 5. The Boy is 2. The Dog is 1.

imageimage

I am the 99%.
  • imageShannonL.K:
    DH and I just sit on the couch or living room chair to eat. I had wondered about just putting it on the floor, but wasn't sure.

I've done it a lot.  Especially when we're at someone else's house.  I just try to make sure the floor stays clean. 

I've also used the chair for art time.  It cleans up so great; DD used to love to paint on the tray.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Shannon,

I have that Cosco high chair in my office (different pattern, from Sears).  It's not super sturdy but it's not flimsy either.  I think you'd be fine with it.

And I have this Fisher Price one at home. It's sturdier and I like the fact that the top tray is dishwasher safe.

Rainforest Healthy Care highchair --> click me

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • You might also want to try looking at resale shops or CR  - my mom got a practically new graco model with all the bells and whistles for $30 at one of the resale shops and we all love it, sometimes it makes me want one instead of the space saver :)
  • imagePiranha54:
    You might also want to try looking at resale shops or CR  - my mom got a practically new graco model with all the bells and whistles for $30 at one of the resale shops and we all love it, sometimes it makes me want one instead of the space saver :)

I've been checking craigslist and Once Upon a Child and haven't come across anything yet. Craigslist in my area has every other baby item for sale, but high chairs aren't being sold right now. :(

I'll probably go back to Once Upon a Child this weekend and check.

• imagemominatrix:

Do you have an Ikea nearby?

We have (two of) this highchair. We love it...

20 bucks... and for another 5 you can get a tray to attach to it...

like this:

and, if you're super short on space, the legs come off for quick and easy out of the way storage.

We don't...there isn't even a store in our state and you can't buy it online. Bleh! I love that, too.

• imagerobynlesley:

Shannon,

I have that Cosco high chair in my office (different pattern, from Sears).  It's not super sturdy but it's not flimsy either.  I think you'd be fine with it.

And I have this Fisher Price one at home. It's sturdier and I like the fact that the top tray is dishwasher safe.

Rainforest Healthy Care highchair --> click me

Thanks, Robyn.  Walmart has a cute pattern that I like - it's exclusive to them.

• You could get the space saver chair and put it on top of the kitchen counter and just watch him.  Or get the clip-on portable chair for the kitchen counter.  But you mentioned that you have a swing and pack n play taking up room...we got rid of both those things when S was 5 months so I'm guessing you won't have those much longer and will have more space for a table.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"