Adoption

Adoption Medical Release

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and just starting to look into adoption. My husband and I are still trying, but chances are that might get cut short due to a medical problem and we were looking into domestic infant adoption. And actually I want to adopt a child no matter what happens. I just realized that the same medical problem that might keep us from TTC could keep us from adopting. I'm wondering what sorts of things might keep someone from being able to adopt? I have a kidney problem, and while it's progressive, it might progress over 5 years, or it might progress over 25. And my doctor has assured me that if I need one, I'll get a transplant. We're trying out some new medications right now, but there's just no way to know exactly what will happen. Right now the only effect of my disease is that I'm a little more tired than most. I'm terrified that I won't ever be able to have a child biologically or adopted because of this problem. I was hoping someone could provide some insight or maybe just some positivity.

Me (32) DH (30)

A Wordy Blog

Baby Evangeline is here!

Re: Adoption Medical Release

• I have a few heart conditions, including having a pacemaker,  that leave me more tired than most as well.  But I am very healthy and active, even ran a half marathon last year.  Our agency asked that along with my physical that my cardiologist write a letter summarizing my condition, in which he stated I would be a great adoptive mother.  Just ask your agency and be upfront about your medical history.  Best of luck to you!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do you have PKD?

Most domestic agencies simply require your dr to certify that you have a normal expected lifespan, and undergo a basic physical. If your dr can assert that he expects you to live a normal lifespan, even if it requires medication, etc., you should be fine.

You can always contact specific agencies you're interested in, explain the situation, and get their take on it. That way you can go into the process knowing that everyone has the information upfront and you should be OK to proceed.

Good luck.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies.

Dr. Loretta - I have IGA Nephropathy. It's an autoimmune disease. It's not genetic, but I leak a lot of protein, and we're currently aiming treatment at slowing that so the disease will progress slower. I think he wants to give me as much time as possible while transplant technology continues to improve. I feel a lot better now, thank you. People are living very normal lives with transplants, so hopefully it will be ok that I may need one at some point. I just want to be a mommy so much... for this disease to take that away... I don't know.. I can't put into words how that would destroy me. I'll call the agency we're looking at and see what they say. Thanks so much for the advice.

Me (32) DH (30)

A Wordy Blog

Baby Evangeline is here!

• I am a cancer survivor x 3.  I have a sorted medical past.
    I found that domestic adoption was dependant on the support of my oncologist.  He needed to support the idea that I could parent now, and should issues arise, he felt that we had ample support to continue parenting if I was sick.

International adoption is much trickier if you have a blemished medical record.

Good luck!

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • I believe there is an adoptive parent on this board who has had a kidney transplant in the past and has adopted a beautiful little boy.  Not sure if she'll speak up or not, but I don't think it should be a problem for you.
  • Hi and Welcome!

I also have IgA and have had 2 kidney transplants. We have adopted a beautiful baby girl. We are also going to be adopting her sister, she is due in January.  There is also another Mom on here, KatieJo that has IgA and she has adopted a beautiful son.  

My agency just wanted to make sure that I was healthy enough to raise a child and that I have a normal life expectancy.  My doctor filled out the required form and also wrote a letter for me saying I was healthy and would be able to raise a child.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any question. I wish you all the best.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"