Pre-School and Daycare

Still playing with Little People?

I think it's time to put ours away (slowly, so she doesn't notice) and make way for the new stuff that's coming at Christmas. I've tried lots of things to make her Little People toys more interesting, but I think she's just outgrown them. She likes smaller people who move and can hold things, etc.

My baby girl is growing up!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Still playing with Little People?

• Sadly Allie has never owned a LP.  I always looked at them, but she had so many other toys we never bought any.  
  • All you need is one little sister (or brother) who wants to play with the LP. THEN they're fun again like you wouldn't believe! Stick out tongue
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel like our Little People were a waste of money.  DS was just not into them.  We have the farm, ark, a construction site and a dump truck.  I stopped buying them when I realized he was never playing with them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD played with ours a lot, which is part of why we have so many. I think I'll keep the nativity set with our Christmas things, though.
  • We had tons of LP stuff, but neither of my kids ever played with it as much as I remember playing with the Fisher-Price toys when I was a kid.

The generation of FP Little people stuff we have is heavily oriented towards "push-a-button-hear-an-electronic-sound" type of play.  Once my kids got bored of hearing the same sounds over and over, there just wasn't much to interest them in these toys.

Interestingly enough, one of my middle school students years ago donated an older FP castle that he used as part of a project on Romeo & Juliet.  When I left teaching for a while, I brought it home for my kids.  They have played with that crazy castle more than almost anything else in the playroom!  It's been a backdrop for lego people, for playmobil folks, for Pokemon, for the Star Wars gang -- you name it!  The older FP toys had something that the newer generation just doesn't have.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • We had tons of LP stuff, but neither of my kids ever played with it as much as I remember playing with the Fisher-Price toys when I was a kid.

The generation of FP Little people stuff we have is heavily oriented towards "push-a-button-hear-an-electronic-sound" type of play.  Once my kids got bored of hearing the same sounds over and over, there just wasn't much to interest them in these toys.

Interestingly enough, one of my middle school students years ago donated an older FP castle that he used as part of a project on Romeo & Juliet.  When I left teaching for a while, I brought it home for my kids.  They have played with that crazy castle more than almost anything else in the playroom!  It's been a backdrop for lego people, for playmobil folks, for Pokemon, for the Star Wars gang -- you name it!  Even my 10 year old will still join in pretend play that involves the castle. The older FP toys had something that the newer generation just doesn't have.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • imagemandyallcorn:
    All you need is one little sister (or brother) who wants to play with the LP. THEN they're fun again like you wouldn't believe! Stick out tongue

This exactly!  DD #1 never played w/ little people, and now all of a sudden her little sister got some little people sets for her b-day and DD #1 can't get enough of them.

• My DD loved lining up all the people, separating animals from people, etc. I really think we got our money's worth out of them. We have a few that made sounds (the airplane) but she really did play with them a lot.

• put the pieces away for a while... then pull them out again. they are still in my kids rotation (we have the farm and the plane and the school bus).  dd has a big dollhouse in her room now and loves it... but they like to pull out the farm every now and then and play out stories.  they are not as popular as they once were though.  
  • Dang, my 5 year still likes to imaginary play with them!  Seriously, they come out at least once a week still!!! She especially likes all the animals, the zoo, the boat and the farm.  She'll play with them for an hour or so.  

DS never really got into them.  He is more interested in cars.   We do have one more child to hold onto them for though... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Olivia has a couple that she uses with her doll house but isn't a big fan. I also loved the ones when i was a little kid. I had tons and could play with them all day
  • imagebrightning:

My DD loved lining up all the people, separating animals from people, etc. I really think we got our money's worth out of them. We have a few that made sounds (the airplane) but she really did play with them a lot.

This is exactly what DD is doing with them now.  She'll line them all up and then take pictures with her barbie camera :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Katie could take them or leave them depending on the day. My Pre-k 4 year olds LOVE THEM. maybe put them in the attic?
  • imagemandyallcorn:
    All you need is one little sister (or brother) who wants to play with the LP. THEN they're fun again like you wouldn't believe! Stick out tongue

Agreed. B never played with them until C started liking them. ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My barely 2 year old is a LP addict!  She loves them and spends a lot of time playing with them.  I love watching her pretend play skills develop with the plot lines she has started creating with the LPs.  I will be sad the day that have to go!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"