Upstate NY Babies

That "Sister Wives" show

So I didn't watch it but it's about that guy with 3 wives & like 15 kids. Today when I was checking People Magazine online they were saying he could face felony charges for Polygamy. I mean, it's no life for me but I don't see how it's a felony- holy crap!

Does anyone know why, exactly? 

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: That "Sister Wives" show

• Polygamy is against the law. I guess it's a felony. i was very suprised they had that show on tv. i wondered why they would put it on if it's illegal
  • From what I understand, and I could be wrong, they are not allowed to co-habitat, and I believe that they do.
  • Loading the player...
  • ::shakes head::

yeah IDK why they would put it on the air if it was illegal either...but I do want to watch... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I saw a short part of their interview on the Today Show.  If I remember correctly, he's only really married to the first wife.  He calls the others his wives, but it's not a legal marriage. 
  • He's only married to his first wife.  However in Utah, as well as many other states, it's illegal to co-habitat with someone else while calling them your spouse as well.

It's my understanding that the laws are on the books for the sole purpose of going after people who arrange marriages that involve minors.  In recent years, consenting adults have not been tried under these laws.

• DH and I actually watched the show yesterday, and they all seem like nice normal people...except they're polygamists.  Seems like TLC should have done more research before featuring people in a show who live an illegal lifestyle.
  • I actually watched this! they do seem like a 'normal' family - 2/3 of the wives work outside the home.

the wives say they like the lifestyle (and certainly they are portrayed as normal - not like polygamists that we've heard about in the past that marry off 12 & 13 yr old girls), but don't you think that there is a lot of jealousy/ difficulties that go on (that they aren't talking about on tv)? imagine if your husband could go and find other women to "marry" - I'd get mad every time he looked at a woman for too long!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You know what I thought was interesting?  When they said they were jealous that he had a "girlfriend" but that they loved having sister wives.  What's the difference?
  • imageemiliemetcalf:
    You know what I thought was interesting?  When they said they were jealous that he had a "girlfriend" but that they loved having sister wives.  What's the difference?

That is interesting.  I also thought it was interesting that he didn't meet the 4th woman he wants to call his wife....one of the other wives met her first and introduced them. 

• I haven't watched the show, but I hope that they aren't found guilty.  They are living their lives peacefully, to me they are doing nothing wrong.  Also, why are all these shows about men having many wives.. I want to see a show with a woman that has several husbands.... that would be interesting!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"