Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Cramps and bleeding - only at night

A week before I found out about our missed m/c I started having back pain - but only at night, I thought it was the horrible mattress we were sleeping on. Before my D&C I started getting really crampy and more horrible back pain that would start every night around 1am and be gone by morning. After the D&C I was okay for a few nights but now the cramping has come back and sometimes bleeding at the same time every night - starting around 1am. During the day I feel fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas why my pain is only at night? It seems strange to me.

When I think about it - I was never comfortable at night throughout this pregnancy. I wasn't always in pain at night but I would feel "weird" and it was hard to find a position that felt good.

DD 4yo DS 1yo

Re: Cramps and bleeding - only at night

• Options

I can't really give any insight as to why it's only at night, but I wanted to say I had the exact same problem.

My m/c started at night and when I woke up the next morning totally fine I thought that was the end of it.  The next 2 nights (and only at night) were absolutely unbearable.  The pain was mind numbing.  I'd be laying on the couch in the late afternoon/early evening and almost dread that night time was coming because it seemed like a switch had been flipped.

When I went in for my appointment with my doctor he didn't really seem that concerned.  He was obviously sympathetic to the amount of pain I was having, but when I said it was only at night he didn't really prompt me with any additional questions.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I know sleep was the one thing I looked forward to so I could escape but it was impossible to do so at night.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options

The only thing I can think of is that when you're staying so still in bed, more than likely more than you have all day long, then you're not distracted by much of anything else and are kind of focused on the pain.  The cramping may have been there all day long but with all the other muscles moving in your body throughout the day you probably don't notice the cramping or pain as much. 

At night you're probably feeling the effects of all your movement during the daytime too and might be a little bit sore.  Not sure why your bleeding is worse at night though.  I tend to be the opposite even with periods.  The more active I am, the heavier the flow is going to be and at night not as much seems to come out.  Gravity probably has something to do with that too. 

Maybe your pain is worse at night because you are laying down instead of sitting or standing/moving.  There's a lot of pressure put on your body from laying down against the mattress and everything inside of you probably shifts a little bit especially if you are a stomach sleeper. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe try a body pillow like the Snoogle that's an S shape and really cradles you and helps align you to make you the most comfortable.  I couldn't sleep without it even after both my children were born for the longest time because it felt so good and kept me in a comfortable position.  It might relieve some of your discomfort.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"