Indiana Babies

Cord Blood Banking

Has anyone done this?  We didn't for Evie, but now that we will have multiple children we were thinking about doing this when the new baby is born.

Any advice or experiences?

Deleted

Re: Cord Blood Banking

• We did not, simply because of the cost involved.

However, we did donate it...and if we were to ever need it, we would be moved to the top of the list.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We decided against it simply because of the cost.  I don't know why we didn't donate it.
  • Loading the player...
  • We were going to donate, but didn't find out about the process until it was too late.  We're not planning on any more LOs, but if we did have another, we would donate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageIndyPRGirl:

We did not, simply because of the cost involved.

However, we did donate it...and if we were to ever need it, we would be moved to the top of the list.

same here. i requested a donation kit online, and just informed my OB that we wanted to donate. I made sure to pack the kit with the rest of our hospital stuff. It was no big deal at all. we just dropped the kit off at the post office after we left the hospital.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagemarleysmom:
    imageIndyPRGirl:

We did not, simply because of the cost involved.

same here. i requested a donation kit online, and just informed my OB that we wanted to donate. I made sure to pack the kit with the rest of our hospital stuff. It was no big deal at all. we just dropped the kit off at the post office after we left the hospital.

I thought about going this route but after doing the research in The midwest cord blood bank which is the Indiana donation center doesn't bank the donated cord blood they send it off for research.  Is there another public donation place available that I'm not finding that actually banks it for transplant vs research ?

Deleted
  • We donated Ellie's through the hospital so I didn't have to mess with anything--they took care of it all.  We're doing the same thing this time around.  I can't remember off the top of my head if they sent it to a bank or a research place though.
  • One of my girlfriends donated hers and then proceed to receive a $200 bill in the mail for donating....I'm fairly certain that the bill was resolved, but keep an eye out in case you do donate.
  • ours was donated to be banked, not for research.

I requested the kit the week before we went in...she said they would have brought it to the hospital if needed.  They also picked it up for us.  

We never received a bill...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We didn't due to cost. 

I wanted to donate, but to be honest, when things went crazy I lost sight of what happened with that.

• ::butting in::

https://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Cord_Blood_Share_Life/index.html

I randomly started reading about this last week after I signed up for the Bone Marrow Registry (it's free through the month of September). It looks like Indy doesn't have any participating hospitals (weird!), but other IN hospitals give the cords to Lifeforce Cryobanks. I wonder if you can donate to this bank as an individual and not through the hospital?

::butting out::

• I had no idea you could donate it--you think they would ask you.  My friend who is an ob-gyn did it b/c they offered it to her for free.  They like to say they have drs who do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"