Working Moms

Does your daycare provide meals

I find myself lucky that my daycare provides breakfast, a hot lunch, and snacks every day.  All I need to supply is wipes, diapers, and a spare outfit for the girls.  We use an in home daycare and I dont know if that is why but I am glad they provide meals because that is one less thing I have to worry about each week.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does your daycare provide meals

• Yes, our center does. Honestly, I don't think that I'd even consider a daycare that didn't provide meals.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yep, mine does the same (and it's a center).  They have a kitchen and a full-time cook who makes breakfast, lunch, and snacks.  It's great to have that taken care of, and the menu is healthy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, thank goodness!
  • ours does; you can pay 15/week for hot lunch.

They do morning and afternoon snacks as part of our tuition.

I don't pay for the hot lunch - it just seems overpriced to me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yes it's included in the tuition.
  • ours includes breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack...I couldn't add making the girls a bag lunch every day...and now I understand why my parents made us get hot lunch all those years in school...
  • Yes I am glad the daycare provides breakfast, lunch and snacks. I would go crazy trying to brainstorm what DS would eat each day. As it is DS eats so much better there than at home because I just don't know what to give him most of the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes.  Ours includes breakfast, morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack.  Like you, I'm delighted to have one less thing to worry about.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• We can pay $35/month from age 18 months up for hot lunch and breakfast.  Snacks are included but usually are some sort of cracker or cookie snack, so most parents still send in a snack (including me). 
  • Nope, just snacks. I have to provide breakfast and lunch.

It doesn't matter to me. DS is being raised vegetarian, so I'd probably wind up packing his meals anyway.

I only prepare 2x a week, Sun I make M-Tu-W meals and Wed I make Th-F meals, so it's not so bad. Having a big supply of containers and a couple different lunch coolers helps.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• our daycare has a hot lunch program (that now includes breakfast, too, if the child is there before 8:15... at no extra cost!). I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

kids have to be in the 18-2yo class or older... so the next class for the twins they will be on it - and i can not wait! It's SOOOOO nice not to have to stress about packing lunch.... and Griffin really tries a lot of things he might not normally have at home- which i like, too.

we only have to pack a sippy/straw cup of water - and a sippy cup for milk (not anymore for Griffin, though, they use paper open cups at his age now).  We do also pack a pm snack- which i JUST found out- after him being on it for almost 2 years --- nobody EVER told us we need to pack a PM snack- they were just giving him stuff they had there - we felt so stupid when we realized it at open house the other night- DUH!

• DD's preschool doesn't provide meals. I don't really care either way. There are pluses and minuses to both.

In her current situation, I like that I have more control over what she eats... not that I'm a control freak, but there are certain things that are really important to me. For example, I don't buy fruits/veggies that are on the "dirty dozen" unless I can buy them organic. The "dirty dozen" includes some very common fruits/veggies (strawberries, grapes, lettuce, peaches, etc.) so I'm glad that I can make sure she's getting organic versions of those.

Also, some of the daycares in our area have abysmal menus. One place I was looking at for DS served Frito pie (Frito corn chips and cheese over chili), nachos, donuts for breakfast every Wednesday, etc. I liked the daycare aside from that menu, so if they did NOT provide meals, they would have been a front-runner. Since they DO provide meals (crappy ones!), I eliminated them.

The downside is that DD does cave to peer pressure, so I think she'd be more likely to eat a wider variety of foods if she saw her classmates eating them. Instead, I have to stick to tried-and-true favorites, so she gets less variety.

It's not a big deal to throw together some lunch for her each day. If I could find a daycare that provided really healthy food, that would be a HUGE plus... but if I'm choosing between a daycare that provides no food and one that provides so-so food, it's pretty much a toss-up or a slight advantage to the no-food daycare. And if I'm choosing between a daycare that provides no food and one that provides really unhealthy food (like the Frito pie place), the no-food daycare has a distinct advantage.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• No.  They provide snacks but we have to pack DD a lunch every day.  It's such a stresser, too to figure out what to send each day (I'm glad to hear we're not alone on this one!)  We used to be at an in-home daycare that provided all meals.  Our DC used to have a partnership w/ a local restaurant where you could buy lunch for your kid but at $4.50/meal it was just too expensive in my opinion.
  • Yes our center offers cereal, fruit, yogurt,etc for breakfast, a hot lunch, as well as snacks and drinks.  It's not in a home though, it's actually part of a hospital system that I used to work for (so I'm grandfathered in to the employee discount!)  I found that other centers in the area don't provide as much.  Now that DD is potty trained, I just send her with a sheet and blanket for naps and and extra set of clothes.  DD #2 will be starting 11/1, and I'll bring a crib sheet and blanket, extra clothes, bottles already made, extra formula, diapers and wipes.
  • Yup!

We go to a daycare center, and they provide two snacks and a meal.

I love it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No. I thought I would tire of making her lunch, but 6 weeks in- I LOVE it. I look for ways to make it fun. (ask me again in another month :)
  • Yes - lunch and snacks, and I like it, although I'm not always thrilled with the options. Nothing like Frito pie is on the menu though, that is gross. But, I like DD to eat what she is served and not be fussy about it and I think that the peer pressure helps. Plus they serve her things that I would never in a million years make at home - like ham. I hate ham, but she seems to eat it right up. So I'm not passing my food oddities down to her.

It's been included in the baby/pre-toddler rooms, once we go to the 2 year old room I think it is an extra $45 a month. I could probably send lunch for cheaper, but it's not worth the hassle.

• Ours provides morning snack and then we send lunch and afternoon snack. They also provide an evening snack for kids that stay late. While I don't love making her lunches/snacks each week, I do prefer to provide her with healthy options. If I could find a great school that also offered a great food program, that would be perfect. In the meantime, a great school where I send my own great food is working out nicely :) And since our littles only attend 3 days a week, it's really not that bad. Monday evenings, I make her food for the week (T-TH) and it takes about 15-30 min total.
  • Mine provides everything expect diapers.  As infants, they even provided formula and jar baby food if you chose to use the brand that they used.  The only other thing I bring is sunscreen in the summer - its a center.  My older DD is in a PreK program and its the same way - all meals are provided.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Yes, our center provides a healthy breakfast and lunch and also 2 snacks. They have a full kitchen, and a cook. They post a menu for the month which lists everything they serve.  It all looks great.  I am thrilled that I don't have to think about what to pack for dd, and that she is eating really healthy and trying things I may not have thought of serving to her.  They also provide milk with meals and either juice or water with snack, depending on what snack is.  If the snack involves fruit, usually they serve water instead of juice.  I provide diapers,wipes,a change of clothes for dd, sunscreen,diaper cream (if needed) and her nap stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"