North Carolina Babies

PT nanny pay rate?

We are getting to the point where we're trying to figure out a potential budget w/ a baby involved... our work schedules allow us to only need child care approx. 15 hours a week (T, W, Th from roughly 12-5). Financially it doesn't make sense to do FT daycare, and we know PT daycare is crazy expensive.

What is the average pay rate/hr for a PT nanny? I know it's (partially) dependent on their asking rate, but what is reasonable?

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011

Re: PT nanny pay rate?

• When our nanny started with us, we were paying her $10/hr.  I don't think working PT vs. FT will make a difference in the rate if you're paying hourly anyways.  On average, a nanny around here has run between $10-12/hr starting.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was going to say the same as racey---starting rate is usually between $10 and $12 an hour. At a minimum you are probably looking at $150 a week.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks. I was thinking that was probably going to be the going rate... this is quite overwhelming!
  • Another option would be to find a SAHM that takes in kids, that may lower the cost to you. You could drop the baby off at their house. There are TONS of listings for that on Craigslist and the rates are much lower. I've watched a few babies here and there for extra income.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • $10-12/hour is the norm near me, too
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedbertagni:
    Another option would be to find a SAHM that takes in kids, that may lower the cost to you. You could drop the baby off at their house. There are TONS of listings for that on Craigslist and the rates are much lower. I've watched a few babies here and there for extra income.
    Thanks, I didn't think of that!
  • also, check out Gateway.  They have parttime rates, and they weren't too bad, if you were going to end up paying $10 an hour for a PT nanny.
  • imageslhall730:
    also, check out Gateway.  They have parttime rates, and they weren't too bad, if you were going to end up paying $10 an hour for a PT nanny.
    Thanks for the rec... did you look at Eastfield or another location? We're probably going to be moving to that area, if we can ever decide what we want in a house :)
  • I thought PT daycare would be more expensive than a PT nanny, but we found a great center in the Raleigh area.  Many centers are not at capacity and were willing to accept us PT (W,TH,F).  We are paying roughly $7/hr. 

• I only need part time child care as well (20 hours a week, just afternoons) and I found two nannies to split the week (one is MW the other is TTh and my DH is watching the kiddos on Fridays). I am paying $10 an hour for two kids. One of the nannies wanted $12, but she is a SAHM and is bringing her 2 year old with her, so she agreed to $10 and hour b/c of that. It is going to be pretty pricey, but with having a young baby, I think it is worth it to have someone come to my home and give him one on one care.
  • We thought we had everything figured out months in advance of the baby arriving.  Five months later our in-home daycare provider had to close 4 days prior to DS starting.  We ended up going with the center at the hospital I work at.  Thankfully, they had a spot opening in a few weeks and we were able to go PT (up to 30 hours a week).  It was reasonably comparable to the in-home daycare and nannies.  For the amount of hours, we actually end up paying a lot less per hour. 

DH and I discussed the SAHM route but in the end we wanted something more stable.  We were afraid that if the SAHM had an emergency, got sick, went on vacation, baby had an appointment, etc we would be in a bind at the last minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"