Blended Families

Oprah and Shorty got me thinking

Yes, you read that right, I put Shorty on the same level as Oprah, lol.  Today's show is about how our education system is failing our children.  And Shorty was just saying how she wants to homeschool the kids.  I will admit that I am anti-homeschooling, I live in NJ and I am pretty sure it is less common here than in some other states although I cannot find statistics and I have a BS in Elementary Education so I am sure that influences my thoughts.  But, I do know there are times when it can be beneficial. 

With the Oprah show today it got me thinking about what do you want your kids to learn that you do not think the public school system will teach them?  This does not need to be specific to homeschooling.  For example I know many people homeschool for religious reasons.  When I was in college I had a tutoring add in our local newspaper and got a call from a father that was looking to hire a teacher to homeschool his kids, he wanted them to have experiences that he did not think they would in public school (and he lived in a very wealthy town, the same as Bruce Springsteen, with good schools.  His examples were that he wanted his kids to learn how to horseback ride; I am not sure why they could not do that after school.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Oprah and Shorty got me thinking

• SD tests way above her grade level and is honestly starting to get bored. I think she'd benefit from one-on-one education tailored to her needs.

I'd also like to shelter them from negative influences as long as possible.

• Evolution. Seriously, I live in Texas. Stick out tongue

I really want both SS and DD to play an instrument. I know I took a "music appreciation" class in 5th grade where we got to try out different band insturments. I never went to a school that had an orchestra though.

I played the piano for 3 years and then my mom made me choose between piano and ballet and I chose ballet (which I quit 2 years later). I played the flute for 6 years. I can play the guitar a little bit (self-taught). I took a strings pedagogy class in college just so I could try out the violin, lol.

BM is a music teacher so I know if SS shows an interest in leaning to play that she will make sure he gets some lessons.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I almost choked on my chocolate ice cream when I started reading your post. Lol.

I would love for them to have the chance to try anything. If they wanted to persue acting, public school wouldn't allow the time for this. I'm not saying that I will get them into this, but if they wanted, hey, sure.

If we end up continuing to have them go to public school, we want them to learn respect and discipline. The school systems here are so vague on their rules, and therefore, no one reinforces them. We want to make sure that they learn that. 

I would also love for them to learn a musical instrument or two. Both have expressed interest, but they currently don't have the time to explore that avenue.

• I think that while the public school systems are struggling, I also think that people have forgotten that learning does not end at their doors.
    It also requires parents to be involved, who volunteer, who spend time doing homework with their children, and who are willing to be open to teachers and administrators. I heard the most appalling story the other day from my brother who is a teacher, and honestly it was in a nut shell why the school system seems to be failing. I can't relay it, as it isn't my place to do so, but I think we as a society have forgotten how to teach our children. It's not just the schools job. It should be a combination of parents and school-but parents cannot have total control either. It has to be a well balanced relationship.

Filling your child's life with enriching experiences will take what they learn in school and multiply it exponentially. Are they studying botany? Take them to a local conservatory-don't have one, go to a greenhouse or garden center. History-there has to be something in your area with historical significance-explore it, and learn with them. There is so much out there to see and do, and experiences are so vital to learning.  Vacations don't have to be at the beach, there are cities full of museums and history waiting to be explored. National parks waiting to be discovered.

I actually know a lot of people who were homeschooled for all or part of their education. Not one of them went on to college (I know that it does happen) and everyone of them is socially awkward. It's uncomfortable to be around them.

• imageshortyred919:

I almost choked on my chocolate ice cream when I started reading your post. Lol.

I would love for them to have the chance to try anything. If they wanted to persue acting, public school wouldn't allow the time for this. I'm not saying that I will get them into this, but if they wanted, hey, sure. Why can't they pursue acting if they aren't homeschooled? Instead of soccer practice you cart them to the local community theater or the local acting class. I don't get this mentality at all.

If we end up continuing to have them go to public school, we want them to learn respect and discipline. The school systems here are so vague on their rules, and therefore, no one reinforces them. We want to make sure that they learn that.  This starts at home. 100% If your children have not learned to be respectful of both themselves and others while in your care, they are not going to learn it at school, and teachers should not be solely responsible for this. If they are breaking rules in school and are not being disciplined, than it's time to work with the school and the children to correct that.

I would also love for them to learn a musical instrument or two. Both have expressed interest, but they currently don't have the time to explore that avenue.  Again how is this possible? I just don't understand? Do your public schools not have music programs? Most don't start until 4th or 5th grade, but hopefully they are available. Why can't they take piano or guitar one night a week?

• We do field trips all the time to help enrich our kids' educations.  This week we went to the art museum to see a new exhibit.  Anything they don't get at school we can attempt at home.

We love our school.  The parents are all very involved and very active in the school.  This year oldest SS started orchestra.  He's playing intramurals at recess.  Last spring he was in the school musical.  Younger SS has already learned more about art and other cultures (by 1st grade) than I could ever teach him.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • What would I want to teach my kids that I don't think they can get out of public school?  Hmmm...fortunately I'm lucky enough that I live in an area that has one of the best school systems in the country.  I think I would find what they're interested in and explore those things in more depth outside the classroom to enhance their learning and their interests.  If they take music and like playing an instrument = music lessons outside of school, etc.

I just moved back here from Mississippi.  If I still lived there, I would have a TON of work to do outside of school so my kids could learn what I think is appropriate.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think what paris said about offering your kids enriching experiences is SO dead on.

I can remember as a kid my mom did a "transportation summer" with us and taught us all about the various forms of transportation.  We took a train to chicago, we took a plane to california, we rode a city bus (which my sis and i had never done), we rode a trolley...we did a bunch of other transportation related things and learned all about the history of how modern transportation developed.  It was REALLY cool.

And we used to go to the zoo like a THOUSAND times a month, and museums, and the theater.  We must've seen a hundred different plays at our citie's theater.  Things like Les Miserables, Fiddler on the Roof, Phantom of the Opera....I could go on.

Whenever we took a vacation somewhere my mother would INSIST that we do at least ONE educational thing (a tour, a museum, something) during that vacation "to make it worth while".  Some of my best memories are of these experiences.

These are things that no matter WHAT type of education, whether it be public, private or homeschooling, you should add to your kids' lives.  These are hands on/in your face learning experiences that you will never get inside the 4 walls of any institution.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageparis.inthe.spring:
    imageshortyred919:

I almost choked on my chocolate ice cream when I started reading your post. Lol.

I would love for them to have the chance to try anything. If they wanted to persue acting, public school wouldn't allow the time for this. I'm not saying that I will get them into this, but if they wanted, hey, sure. Why can't they pursue acting if they aren't homeschooled? Instead of soccer practice you cart them to the local community theater or the local acting class. I don't get this mentality at all.

If we end up continuing to have them go to public school, we want them to learn respect and discipline. The school systems here are so vague on their rules, and therefore, no one reinforces them. We want to make sure that they learn that.  This starts at home. 100% If your children have not learned to be respectful of both themselves and others while in your care, they are not going to learn it at school, and teachers should not be solely responsible for this. If they are breaking rules in school and are not being disciplined, than it's time to work with the school and the children to correct that.

I would also love for them to learn a musical instrument or two. Both have expressed interest, but they currently don't have the time to explore that avenue.  Again how is this possible? I just don't understand? Do your public schools not have music programs? Most don't start until 4th or 5th grade, but hopefully they are available. Why can't they take piano or guitar one night a week?

The only reason I brought up acting was because that is an example that doesn't always meet at night or on weekends. We live close to Chicago. If they wanted to pursue film, that would be totally feasible. It was an example. The discipline thing will happen at home regardless of where or how they attend school. I didn't mean to imply that the school should be solely responsible. And I'm not sure why you are on a high horse about the music thing. They currently don't have time. Even if they did attend band in school, private lesions are almost always necessary. You need to back your anti homeschooling truck up. To think that because you know 10 socially inept homeschoolers would be like me pointing out that I know 500 socially inept public school kids. The blanket statement doesn't apply to everyone. I've known plenty of perfectly normal people on both sides of the fence. The only reason homeschoolers have the stigma is because homeschooling used to be illegal. People wouldn't risk leaving their homes during the day for fear that they would get caught. It is now legal in all 50 states and opportunities are endless.
  • In all honesty, I think it's completely necessary for children to know how to diagram sentences. Be able to not only correctly identify parts of speech, but put words in the correct order. I know far too many adults who end sentences with prepositions on a regular basis, and I want to punch their teeth out.

?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageErin0922:

In all honesty, I think it's completely necessary for children to know how to diagram sentences. Be able to not only correctly identify parts of speech, but put words in the correct order. I know far too many adults who end sentences with prepositions on a regular basis, and I want to punch their teeth out.

This.

• imageErin0922:

In all honesty, I think it's completely necessary for children to know how to diagram sentences. Be able to not only correctly identify parts of speech, but put words in the correct order. I know far too many adults who end sentences with prepositions on a regular basis, and I want to punch their teeth out.

?

This totally makes me giggle, even though I know what you mean. It is a midwestern habit. "Can I come with you?" becomes, "Can I come with?"
  • imageshortyred919:
    imageErin0922:

?

This totally makes me giggle, even though I know what you mean. It is a midwestern habit. "Can I come with you?" becomes, "Can I come with?"

OHMYGOODNESS! It drives me up a wall. I dated a guy from WI, and its a damn good thing he could kiss.... hahahahaha!

It's almost as bad as my Texarkana DH saying, "I'm fixin to go to THE Walmart... you'ins wanna ride with me?"

WTF is a "you-ins," there is more than one Walmart, and you don't "fix" to go places, you just go!

I don't grammar police because I make plenty of typos online, but I judge in my head. HAHA.?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I want to provide a full and complete history of both the US and the World. 

Did you know that we won Texas in the Mexican/American War (even though TX joined the Union during the Civil War, which was before the M/A War)?

Or that the Lousiana Purchase got us just to the shores of the Mississippi River (even though we acquired much more land in that purchase)?

Or that Daniel Boone contributed to the Constitutional Convention (he was not there).

Or the 1689 English Bill of Rights helped inspire the 1620 Mayflower Compact (notice the chronological impossibility).

Or that Congress established the Supreme Court (last I read, they were created at the same time in the Constitution).

Look, all history is written by the victors, but the victors WERE the writers of teh Constitution....

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • I think they should teach kids how to deal with their feelings and emotions.  Teach kids how to express how they are really feeling.  Also teach them relaxation and meditation techniques.  People are so over stressed these day and constantly being bombarded by the media outlets.  Imagine if schools thought kids the basics like sitting in silence and taking deep breaths. 

How to listen and good communications skills.  Research has shown that during a conversation people tend to last about 17 seconds before they interrupt.  Also during that 17 seconds they are busy formulation an answer.  Also how to listen and sympathise without have to give advice, people love to give advice.

The detrimental effects of bullying and how to handle conflict appropriately.

Erin - the English language is ever evolving so you should cut your DH some slack.  You don't speak the same terminology they did years ago, old English, so why do you get to decide when to throw down the marker in history of what is correct.  Maybe his ability to 'embrace the changes? is the way forward lol.
  • imageshortyred919:
    imageparis.inthe.spring:
    imageshortyred919:

The only reason I brought up acting was because that is an example that doesn't always meet at night or on weekends. We live close to Chicago. If they wanted to pursue film, that would be totally feasible. It was an example. The discipline thing will happen at home regardless of where or how they attend school. I didn't mean to imply that the school should be solely responsible. And I'm not sure why you are on a high horse about the music thing. They currently don't have time. Even if they did attend band in school, private lesions are almost always necessary. Why is that? I would be interested to hear what my brother the music teacher thinks about that. Unless your child wants to pursue music as a career I am not sure why private lessons would be neccesary.  You need to back your anti homeschooling truck up. To think that because you know 10 socially inept homeschoolers would be like me pointing out that I know 500 socially inept public school kids. The blanket statement doesn't apply to everyone. I've known plenty of perfectly normal people on both sides of the fence. The only reason homeschoolers have the stigma is because homeschooling used to be illegal. People wouldn't risk leaving their homes during the day for fear that they would get caught. It is now legal in all 50 states and opportunities are endless.

My goodness you are defensive. It's called a conversation-some people will have differing opinions from you, and that's not a bad thing. I would love to know how I was on a "high horse" about the music thing. You can't explain why it isn't possible to incoroporate extra music lessons (what one or two a week?) in with a public school education. It makes no sense to me.

I just don't see your logic. If they want to pursue film it would be feasible if you home school. Ok. We will run with that example. If in fact that is something that would interest them, and you are sooooo close to Chicago that it would be possible to cart them their everyday-when would schooling be done? Or why can't they do summer programs? Why would this be a reason to home school? I could understand if they go through some summer programs, have the talent and start getting bookings, ok great. You home school, hire tutors, etc. But until you reach that point, how is that a valid reason? Same applies to any example really. You think your kid has the talent to be a pro musician-great. Professional ice-skater. Whatever the case maybe.

THe thought that home schooling used to be illegal never even entered my mind. Honestly, I never realized it was illegal.

Also, your reading comprehension sucks. I said IN MY EXPERIENCE, the home schooled people that I know (which is way more than 10, it's been pretty popular in my area for a while) are socially awkward. Sure, it can happen to anyone, but from my experience it seems more prevelant in that environment. It's not a blanket statement when I am going off of personal experience. I qualified it properly. A blanket statement would have been ALL home schoolers are socially inept.

How do you prepare your child for the structure that they will face in college and in a future workplace? You can't put off til tomorrow what must be done today in a professional environment. You can't tell your college professor that the assignment isn't done because I felt like going to Chicago to see a play or you wanted to spend time with your Mom.

What are your qualifications for being able to give your children a well balanced education? I think that this is often something that is glossed over. Well I went to school, so I can teach-unless you went to school for teaching I am not sure how that is possible.

And really Shorty, if you aren't willing to have a discussion without getting all defensive, then why post? I am asking questions, and stating my opinion. I am not being mean. I didn't say I think you are a close-minded idiot who shouldn't be home schooling. I simply want to see what type of logical answers you can come up with. So far, I am not really seeing any.

imageshortyred919:
    imageparis.inthe.spring:
    imageshortyred919:

The only reason I brought up acting was because that is an example that doesn't always meet at night or on weekends. We live close to Chicago. If they wanted to pursue film, that would be totally feasible. It was an example. The discipline thing will happen at home regardless of where or how they attend school. I didn't mean to imply that the school should be solely responsible. And I'm not sure why you are on a high horse about the music thing. They currently don't have time. Even if they did attend band in school, private lesions are almost always necessary. Why is that? I would be interested to hear what my brother the music teacher thinks about that. Unless your child wants to pursue music as a career I am not sure why private lessons would be neccesary.  You need to back your anti homeschooling truck up. To think that because you know 10 socially inept homeschoolers would be like me pointing out that I know 500 socially inept public school kids. The blanket statement doesn't apply to everyone. I've known plenty of perfectly normal people on both sides of the fence. The only reason homeschoolers have the stigma is because homeschooling used to be illegal. People wouldn't risk leaving their homes during the day for fear that they would get caught. It is now legal in all 50 states and opportunities are endless.

My goodness you are defensive. It's called a conversation-some people will have differing opinions from you, and that's not a bad thing. I would love to know how I was on a "high horse" about the music thing. You can't explain why it isn't possible to incoroporate extra music lessons (what one or two a week?) in with a public school education. It makes no sense to me.

I just don't see your logic. If they want to pursue film it would be feasible if you home school. Ok. We will run with that example. If in fact that is something that would interest them, and you are sooooo close to Chicago that it would be possible to cart them their everyday-when would schooling be done? Or why can't they do summer programs? Why would this be a reason to home school? I could understand if they go through some summer programs, have the talent and start getting bookings, ok great. You home school, hire tutors, etc. But until you reach that point, how is that a valid reason? Same applies to any example really. You think your kid has the talent to be a pro musician-great. Professional ice-skater. Whatever the case maybe.

THe thought that home schooling used to be illegal never even entered my mind. Honestly, I never realized it was illegal.

Also, your reading comprehension sucks. I said IN MY EXPERIENCE, the home schooled people that I know (which is way more than 10, it's been pretty popular in my area for a while) are socially awkward. Sure, it can happen to anyone, but from my experience it seems more prevelant in that environment. It's not a blanket statement when I am going off of personal experience. I qualified it properly. A blanket statement would have been ALL home schoolers are socially inept.

How do you prepare your child for the structure that they will face in college and in a future workplace? You can't put off til tomorrow what must be done today in a professional environment. You can't tell your college professor that the assignment isn't done because I felt like going to Chicago to see a play or you wanted to spend time with your Mom.

What are your qualifications for being able to give your children a well balanced education? I think that this is often something that is glossed over. Well I went to school, so I can teach-unless you went to school for teaching I am not sure how that is possible.

And really Shorty, if you aren't willing to have a discussion without getting all defensive, then why post? I am asking questions, and stating my opinion. I am not being mean. I didn't say I think you are a close-minded idiot who shouldn't be home schooling. I simply want to see what type of logical answers you can come up with. So far, I am not really seeing any.

The music thing has nothing to do with public school vs. homeschool. I would want that for them regardless. As far as acting goes, homeschooling has a flexible schedule. That does not mean that they won't understand structure. I'm not going to be relaxed in all areas. If the schedule needs to adjust a few times, then so be it. Early starts and late starts occur in a traditional school setting as well. I never even said we would do this; it is just an available option. As far as qualifications go, parents know the learning styles of their children better than any other person. The material and lesson plans are available to me, I am just a facilitator. If, down the road, there are subjects that I'm not strong in, we can find a coop with a person who can teach it. Not all homeschool parents need a teaching degree in order to be qualified.
  • To each their own Shorty. I don't see the appeal, nor do I see why  you think it is a good idea, but rock on with your bad self. I hope for your sake that your SK's thrive in that environment if it is in fact what you choose to do, because I would hate to think that they won't. Carrying the burden of failing them, in what is possibly the most important and life affecting part of their lives, would be a horrible situation.  
    To each their own Shorty. I don't see the appeal, nor do I see why  you think it is a good idea, but rock on with your bad self. I hope for your sake that your SK's thrive in that environment if it is in fact what you choose to do, because I would hate to think that they won't. Carrying the burden of failing them, in what is possibly the most important and life affecting part of their lives, would be a horrible situation.  
    I agree with that. If there was any sign that it wasn't working, we would go back to public school. I wouldn't keep them out based on principle. The reason I considered doing out in the first place was because we thought it would be best for them.
    To each their own Shorty. I don't see the appeal, nor do I see why  you think it is a good idea, but rock on with your bad self. I hope for your sake that your SK's thrive in that environment if it is in fact what you choose to do, because I would hate to think that they won't. Carrying the burden of failing them, in what is possibly the most important and life affecting part of their lives, would be a horrible situation.  

Your siggy is cute and all, but you don't really have to live up to it.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I would only choose to homeschool if I felt the environment/influences were very negative and detrimental (i.e. my kids being bullied or taught horrendous things).  I have never met a homeshooled child that wasn't seriously socially awkward.  And sad to say, a total moron with great social skills has more chance of success and happiness than a genius who is incapable of comfortable relationships.

That being said, I take public schools for what they are....  I don't expect them to raise my child and provide absolutely everything they will ever need in their education.  I do expect to have my kids in private music lessons even if they take a music class.  I do expect to take them places, and read them books, and talk to them about things daily as different things come up.  I expect to teach them about finances, and help them learn to deal with people and different situations.  I'm not expecting to ship my kid to school and have all the parenting responsibilities moved off my shoulders.

I figure between home and the school and their church and their friends and whatever else, all the bases should be pretty well covered.

• imageJ&A2008:

imageparis.inthe.spring:

Your siggy is cute and all, but you don't really have to live up to it.

WTF does that mean J&A? I admitted we have our differences in opinion when it comes to the topic at hand. It is what it is. And what is wrong with hoping that her SK's thrive should it be what they chose to do? I mean it, whole heartedly. I certainly wouldn't want them, or her as the teacher to fail. Too much at stake. Education to me is one of the most important things that we give to our children. It profoundly affects every single aspect of their lives from now until the end. It's that important. I don't see how that is being evil. Care to explain?

• imagetsevere:

I would only choose to homeschool if I felt the environment/influences were very negative and detrimental (i.e. my kids being bullied or taught horrendous things).  I have never met a homeshooled child that wasn't seriously socially awkward.  And sad to say, a total moron with great social skills has more chance of success and happiness than a genius who is incapable of comfortable relationships.

That being said, I take public schools for what they are....  I don't expect them to raise my child and provide absolutely everything they will ever need in their education.  I do expect to have my kids in private music lessons even if they take a music class.  I do expect to take them places, and read them books, and talk to them about things daily as different things come up.  I expect to teach them about finances, and help them learn to deal with people and different situations.  I'm not expecting to ship my kid to school and have all the parenting responsibilities moved off my shoulders.

I figure between home and the school and their church and their friends and whatever else, all the bases should be pretty well covered.

I personally feel the same way.  And I had to giggle b/c I have admitted that since DS is still only 3yo and will have this year and next year in preschool 5 days a week at 2.5 hours a day (plus last year 3 days a week) that I am relying on them to teach him thing like his letters b/c I am being lazy and he has 2 years before he starts Kindergarten...of course I read to him and go over letters when he is interested which is pretty often b/c they are doing such a good job teaching him, lol.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"