Preemies
Options

anyone use polycose for extra calories?

Hi there,

My preemie had some major feeding issues for a couple months....so the pedi had us add 3 extra calories per ounce using polycose since he was already on 24cal/oz formula (Neocate due to possible dairy allergy).  I guess the point of using polycose instead of boosting the formula even more is that it is calories from carbohydrates as opposed to protein so it isn't as hard on the kidneys.  Anway, we successfully took the formula down to 22 cal/oz and his consumption is still good.  So, I guess the next step is decreasing or eliminating the polycose if he continues to do well.  Just wondering if anyone else has used polycose and for how long?  Is it bad to use it for a couple months?   Thanks!  

PS- My preemie is now in the 20th percentile for his actual age (7 mo)!  This is amazing knowing all the feeding issues we have had!  That is why I'm almost afraid to change anything right now. 

Re: anyone use polycose for extra calories?

• Options
    We have used it on and off for the last year and a half with DS with no issues and his formula after the polycose was 30 cals/oz because he was having really bad issues gaining weight.  We cut down a lot when he started tolerating finger foods more and now will only occasionly use it if he's having a bad day and won't eat for us.  GL! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"