Postpartum Depression
Options

Third Tri Lurker Question

Hi There!

I am 32 and a half weeks pregnant, and I have a quick question for you all!

I have struggled with depression tied to my BPD diagnosis, as well as stemming from childhood sexual abuse. 

I was wondering if anyone here who is currently struggling with PPD, had a history of depression before pregnancy. I have worried a lot this whole pregnancy about whether or not PPD would show up for me, and I was curious if my history raised my risk.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Third Tri Lurker Question

• Options
    For me, it absolutely did.  I have a history of depression and anxiety.  I stopped taking my meds about 6 months before I got pregnant but the PPD hit hard and fast once I had my baby.  Just make sure your husband/family know to look for signs after your baby is born.  And get help ASAP if you believe you are suffering from PPD.  I was put back on medication about 7 days after my baby was on.  Took them for about 5 days, felt like a whole new person.  Now, three months pp, I am 100% better and don't take a thing.  Good luck.
    TTC #2 since October 2011 Unexplained Secondary Infertility IUI#1, 2 - BFN Clomid #1, 2, 3 - BFN Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was really worried about this when I was pregnant as well and asked my psych about it, he told me that in his practice women on an effective treatment plan while pregnant seldomly come back with obvious signs of PPD. That is not to say that it is impossible, but the medication(s) already in place may help stabilize more so then if the woman has untreated BPD. Personally yes I did have to go back and get my meds readjusted, but I think having been on meds in the first place curbed PPD/PPA feelings greatly. My often used advice in matters like this is make sure you can recognize signs that things are not normal for you, make sure anyone who comes in contact with you on a regular basis (SO, family, friends) know how to get help for you if they notice signs of thoughts/actions being worse, and have a mental health plan set up. BPD is not an automatic sentence to end up with PPD, so as always hope for the best but have a plan for the worst.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a history of SAD and depression/anxiety.  PPD was my biggest fear in my pregnancy.  I'm seeing a counselor monthly to keep an eye on things and so far I'm doing fairly well.  I think my normal SAD is starting to come on, but overall I'm doing much better than I ever expected.  Just make sure your family, friends, medical professionals are aware of your concern and don't hesitate to seek help at the first signs of trouble.  Don't focus on the negative possibilities; focus on your beautiful baby to be.  Good luck.
  • Options
    I have had a history of anxiety and depression and went off proazc to TTC and through the pregnancy. I had prozac ready to go in my hospital bag if I started to feel symptons and I took it 4 days after birth. I nursed for as long as I could but I was glad I had the meds ready to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"