Pre-School and Daycare

Should we take a break or keep trying?

I've been taking DS to story time at the library, but he won't cooperate. He's very excited before it starts, but he quickly becomes disruptive. Today we only lasted through one song before I had to take him out because he was jumping around and screaming (happy, but very disruptive) and, of course, getting dirty looks. I took him to the kid's area so he could pick out some more books and play with puzzles, but then he started getting really loud and grabbing puzzles out of other kid's hands. When I tried to redirect him, he threw himself down and had a tantrum. So embarrassing!

Since he doesn't go to daycare, I him to be able to interact with other kids and be involved in something that requires him to participate, but it's just not happening. Would you give up on the library or keep trying. This was our 3rd week and it hasn't gotten any better at all.

Re: Should we take a break or keep trying?

• What did you do to discipline him for his behavior? 
  • Are there any group things that don't require him to sit so quiet and still?  Personally, I would keep trying but tell him what you expect of him before hand.  Tell him if sit and listens, he gets x after (a special treat, lunch out at a fav restaurant, a sticker - whatever works for him).  Next time - aim to make it through 15 mins vs the whole class.  If he doesn't stay quiet and listen, take him out into the hall for a few mins so he can calm down and try again or leave.  Don't go to a different part of the library.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • I would keep trying. I think he'll eventually get used to it.
  • Rory used to be the same way before. The last time we were going to story time was before she was 2 1/2. I stopped going for a few months and we've just started back up. Total difference. I can reason with her more and she sits still like a perfect angel (unless she's allowed to get up, like to "Shake Your Sillies Out") but other than that, she sits next to me and listens to the story Smile I'd say maybe wait. Rory doesn't go to preschool either.
  • Can you find a different type of activity that is more active/less structured?

And I'd wait a bit before trying again. He's obviously not ready for this yet, which is fine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebrightning:

Can you find a different type of activity that is more active/less structured?

And I'd wait a bit before trying again. He's obviously not ready for this yet, which is fine.

This. Maybe a dance/ gym class?
  • imageStacieErin:
    imagebrightning:

Can you find a different type of activity that is more active/less structured?

This. Maybe a dance/ gym class?

I second the gym class.  DD loved the mommy and me gym class at that age. It was nice b/c she had to listen but was able to move and i was with her to help.  Keep trying and good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • The gym class sounds like a good idea. I think we'll wait on the story time for a couple more months and try again later. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • It could also be that this class just isn't well timed for him.  On  a "regular" day, would he normally be eating or napping during the story time?  Something earlier in the day or right after his nap might work better.

Or maybe a more active class like a music class?  Or he just might not be ready for something structured - stick with places to go interact with other kids that doesn't involve a class.

Heather Margaret --- Feb '07 and Todd Eldon --- April '09
  • practice storytime at home. Make him follow the rules (sit on your bottom, only speak when spoken to, raise your hand if you have a question, keep your hands to yourself etc). Explain your expectations in advance and the consequences (loss of privileges) of not following the rules and then be consistent. Reward him for good behavior (praise, sticker, stamp, candy-whatever motivates him) and tell him specifically what you liked about his behavior (I liked how you sat quietly, I liked how you raised your hand etc).

Then go back next week and try it again.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"