Baby Showers

One or two?

I'm due Jan 20th, which makes shower timing difficult b/c of the holidays. My out-of-state mother is coming up and hosting a co-ed shower for us, with the help of my also pregnant and also out-of-state sister-in-law, Jan 9th.  We live in the same town we grew up in, and are very close to people we've known since grade school, therefore we have a lot of groups of friends to invite: my high school/college friends, his high school/college friends, family, sports team (we have both been playing on this large co-ed team for 10 years and are very close to them).

One of the girls on the sports team made mention of me having a separate shower that they can attend so that the one my mother has isn't outrageously huge.  I informed her that I'm not going to throw a shower for myself b/c that would be rather rude/poor etiquette.  She suggested that she and one of the other team mates host it at their house and send out the invites, but I actually do the behind the scenes work for it (as they are both too busy since their jobs pick up that time of year).  The next time our team meets up for practice in their area is Dec. 5th.

What do you think?  Take on the responsibility of organizing something for after the practice at this teammate's house and attach their name to it so it doesn't look bad?  Or just have my mother invite everyone to the one shower that is a little less than 2 weeks prior to the EDD?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: One or two?

• I'd go with one because I wouldn't want to have to work "behind the scenes" at my own shower. If they can't host it completely they shouldn't have offered.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • if you don't mind doing the leg work, and would like to do it, I'd say go for it... but I'm a control freak, if it were up to me I'd plan my own showers and just have my hostesses pay for everything and host the day of, that way I'm 100% sure everything comes out the way I want it... perfect.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrs.B6302007:
    I'd go with one because I wouldn't want to have to work "behind the scenes" at my own shower. If they can't host it completely they shouldn't have offered.
    I agree! It is tacky of them to offer to have their names on the invite and not do any of the work. You should never "host" your own shower.
  • Although here's a good question..... Are they going to pay for the shower and have you do the work?

• imageMrs.B6302007:
    I'd go with one because I wouldn't want to have to work "behind the scenes" at my own shower. If they can't host it completely they shouldn't have offered.

I can't imagine that I'd be interested in "doing the legwork" of a shower 2 weeks before my due date anyway.  Stick with the shower that is being thrown for you.  Invite as many guests as your hostess feels she can accommodate.  If there isn't enough room, politely explain to your teammates that you've had to limit the guest list due to space constraints.

You really shouldn't throw your own shower, no matter whose name is on the invite.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"