Working Moms
Options

Daily Schedule Changing

I am a very scheduled person..and love to know weeks in advance what is going on..and during the week when I am working..I basically like to keep my nights after work the same...pick up dd, make dinner, eat, play, bath, do a chore or two and bed....But as she is getting older...4 next month..it seems like things are always changing..Like homework, a playdate or something..

We just bought a new house and the to do list of things to get done...the cleaning that goes with a larger home and just overall upkeep is a little overwhelming. And ...I have made a decision to get really really serious about getting into shape..I have always worked out..but before dd..I was  total exercise buff and loved it and I truly miss it..so I have a few new routines I am trying in addition to my normal running/precor..that I have been doing to maintain my health for the past 4 years!  But now that DD is a little older..I am finding I have a little more time for me..and I want to spend it on working out.

My question is...how do you all adjust to a different routine everyday and how do you make it work?  For example...for the past 4 years...Thurs nights were always bill night and cleaning night..but it isn't going to be like that anymore.. Do you just look at your calendar for the week and see what you can fit in?  How do you make time to fit it all in?  I can't do all the cleaning in one night now...how do you priortize?  Make a list and do one thing a night then start over every week?

I am at a lost!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Daily Schedule Changing

• Options

HAHAHAHA, this is great!  Sorry, I hope that doesn't come off wrong, but in my 4 months as a mother I HEAR YOU!! 

I am obviously much more new to this than you are, but what I have realized is that the list will never end, so you really have to think what is important to you.  I have a list and then I have a "this HAS to get done" list.  That list is things like bills (obvious), laundry - if someone needs something that is in the wash like underwear or DD pants, bottles, booking an airplane ticket for the holidays.

Then I have the ongoing list.  "get fireplace doors", "add halter to pumping bra", "buy high chair".  These usually start off on the b list and make their way to the top either because I have time, or they need to get done.  

I literally have a wipeoff calendar on the office wall.  Appts go on it and so does the list (both the have to do and the ongoing list).  I try to get the have to dos done right away and then work on the nice to dos as I feel like it.

The nice part is if you can change your mindset from feeling like you need to stay on schedule and get X done by X date, then life becomes very fluid and you enjoy it more.  You get to pick what you feel like working on, and if you don't feel like working on anything, then it becomes okay.  This is still VERY hard for me but I am getting there.  I just remember...no one is keeping score.  

Best wishes and Remember it's a journey! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"