Houston Babies

Flying with Breast Milk

I have to fly out of IAH for two day trips back to back (one to Jackson and the other to Pensacola).  So I am going to have to pump and bring this precious gold back.  What issues am I going to run into? Can I bring it back?

TIA

Re: Flying with Breast Milk

• Do I need to package it any differently?  Or in the Medela bottles is just fine? (It says I can fly with it)
  • I flew once with some frozen milk.  I just had it in a little cooler and let them know as I went through security.  I don't think they looked at it and just let me through but I don't remember exactly.  I had mine in the little lansinoh freezer bags at the time.
  • Loading the player...
  • I flew to Jackson recently and had mine in Medela bottles and ice packs.  I told them I had it when I went through security.  In Houston, they didn't do anything.  In Jackson, the guy had me open every bottle and waved some little strip over it that I guess detected if there was a chemical in the bottle, I'm not really sure what he was doing.  I had to stand there and open/close each bottle.  Just give yourself a little extra time in case.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Have any of you flown internationally?  I am going out of town to Mexico in December and I'm trying to figure out if I could somehow pump while I'm there.  My biggest concern is cleaning the bottles...I think I'm going to inquire with the hotel to see if I can get a microwave...so I can use those steam bags.  I'm pretty sure there's a mini-fridge to keep the milk cold...ahhh!  I can't stand the idea of throwing out 6 days worth of milk! 
  • I just flew at the beginning of September to Ohio and back.  I had no problems at all.  When I brought my milk back the lady opened up my cooler and wiped this strip of paper on the lining.  I pumped into cheap evenflo bottles and then when I got back home I divided them into bags.
  • imageKelleyA:
    Have any of you flown internationally?  I am going out of town to Mexico in December and I'm trying to figure out if I could somehow pump while I'm there.  My biggest concern is cleaning the bottles...I think I'm going to inquire with the hotel to see if I can get a microwave...so I can use those steam bags.  I'm pretty sure there's a mini-fridge to keep the milk cold...ahhh!  I can't stand the idea of throwing out 6 days worth of milk! 

I went to Cabo for 5 days and pumped the whole time. The hotel we stayed at didn't have a mini-fridge, at first, so you might want to confirm with them...even after I got the fridge it didn't really keep things cold, so I just kept the milk on ice in my cooler refreshed the ice throughout the day.   I brought a bottle brush and soap to clean out my parts after pumping each time.  

When we were headed home, they questioned me for a while.  The first screener was wondering what I had.  So all I could think to say was "leche de mama" and he looked around for a baby.  Then they called over 2 different people asking them what they should do. I told one guy I read on their website that bringing breastmilk was ok, so he asked me if I printed it out.  I didn't!  After some talking with each other they let me pass...thank goodness!!!   I just had to make sure that I used the milk I stored on ice within two weeks after freezing it all when I got home!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"