Baby Showers
Options

good baby shower gifts

my cousin's girlfriend is having a baby shower nov 7. i am thinking about making her a personalized blanket for the baby. she says that she doesnt have anything for the baby. i am wondering if this is a good idea for a gift or if i should stick to the norm. thanks

Re: good baby shower gifts

• Options

Does she have a registry?

My sister just had her shower and she got TWO things off the registry- everyone else went with "unique" or personalized gifts. They were all great but it was nothing that she NEEDED-like all the stuff she registered for! She was pretty let down about it because now they have to go and buy all the stuff they actually need. She said in the end, 'I dont know why people ask me what I want/need when they arent planning on getting it for me anyways."

• Options

Ditto PP,

I know that you think a personalized blanket is so sweet and heartfelt, but there's bound to be at least one other person who thinks the same. She could end up with 2-3 or more. Practical gifts are always welcome.

I got a lot of "keepsake" items at my bridal and baby showers and I don't really know what to do with them all. (I have 4 photo albums engraved with our names and wedding date, for example)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree - get her something she really needs.  If you want to get her something little that's personalized - in addition - do that, but I would go with her registry.  Or maybe wait until the baby is born to buy something personalized.  Although, if she doesn't have a registry - then by all means buy whatever you want. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would buy a very practical gift off of the registry. She will use the practical gifts at least weekly, if not daily. Plus, people never like to buy the stuff you really need. Instead you get 20 blankets and bibs.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    i love to give gifts that they will really use and need.. like bottles, diapers, wipes, onesies, socks, all the little things.. or i like to do a bath basket or put the stuff in the bath tub too.. like shampoo, lotions, all the bath stuff.. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Everyone I know who has had a baby recently has gotten at least 10+ blankets as gifts before the arrival - I think of a blanket as a "default" gift - the one thing everyone seems to pick up if they don't know about the registry or are just choosing to ignore it.  Making the blanket personalized doesn't change the fact that it will be yet another blanket they will probably end up storing.  I agree with the majority - get something off their registry or practical gifts like diapers, toiletry items, etc. that they will really need (and have to buy if they do not receive). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Anything off of the registry is good! Also, giftcards are great too because then they can get whatever the need that was not received at the shower.
    photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Go with the registry.  My MIL is throwing my shower (Saturday) and doesn't really keep me in the loop.  I know that I am getting at least 2 homemade blanets for baby; one from my mom and one from one of his aunts (plus the one that comes with the bedding that I want).  I will keep them forever because they will be beautiful and it is a wonderful gesture, but I also will not being using them much.  I don't want puke, poop, milk and everything else on these homemade blankets.  DH also told me his mom said that people in his family weren't buying things off the registry because they have decided "I didn't know what I really needed."  That's quite insulting.  What his family doesn't know is that my family has given me a TON of second hand stuff.  I have 2 diaper bags, a swing, a crib, clothes from 4 different baby boys, a tub for bathing, about 8 swadders, 3 blankets; I even got milk storage bags and breastfeeding gear from someone who bought them and then decided not to breast feed.  Everything that people "think" I need that's not on the registry goes back to the store.  Trust Mom to know what she wants and needs and go with the registry.  A personalized blanket is really special, but less so if many other people think so too and mom and baby get more than 1.  Plus, I bet I'm not the only one who won't use it often for fear of getting it dirty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    she does have a registery, but she just registered for the big stuff( crib, car seat, play pen, etc) and clothes. i cannot afford the big stuff and i know shes going to be overwhelmed with clothes and hygiene products, i see all kinds of stuff like that come back to the store from baby showers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"