Adoption

Anyone do adoptive breastfeeding?

We would like to do this (at least give it a shot) for our baby.  Has anyone had any success with this?  What did you do to get your milk supply going?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone do adoptive breastfeeding?

• I have not done this, but I have looked into it. We will likely try it if we do domestic adoption (especially if we are matched before birth) in the future. 

I just wanted to say good luck!
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • I wanted to but because we are fostering to adopt the lines were way too blurry...I even had a dr call me disgusting and unnatural but hey...look into it and by all means go fo rit if it is what you would like to do- it was what we wanted but it was not an option.

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • I am following the Newman-Goldfarb protocol for adoptive breastfeeding.   There are several protocols that you can follow depending on how long you have until you get the baby.  We had 3 months so I am doing the accelerated.  I just started pumping Saturday and today I have produced a little milk so hopefully when the baby is here, due in 2 weeks, I will be producing more. Here is a link if you would like to know more about it.  Hope this helps and GL. https://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/gn_protocols.html

• I have tried it and even rented a pump from the hospital.  But the herbs and mother's milk tea I took caused me to have an upset stomach all the time.  I think caring for a baby is stressful enough then to add on feeling sick all the time, wasn't worth it to me.  I wouldn't want me being sick to take time away from him.  However, I have thought about buying a lact-aid feeding  system to aid in bonding. 

That's just me though and I'm sure not everyone has the same side effects.  I don't think its in the cards for me but I hope its successful for you! Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I also did the newman-goldfarb protocal adn it worked for me, not a ton of milk production but enough to give him something and really helped with bonding!! I also rented a hospital grade pump(medela symphony) and it worked great! PM me if you have questions
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageRJMbim:

I wanted to but because we are fostering to adopt the lines were way too blurry...I even had a dr call me disgusting and unnatural but hey...look into it and by all means go fo rit if it is what you would like to do- it was what we wanted but it was not an option.

GL!

This makes me feel very angry. Beside being horribly misguided, I wonder if there was some racism involved.  I am so sorry that a physician (who should have been supporting your decision to aid in the immune system, avoiding obesity, and improving the neurological development of your baby) tried to make you feel dirty. 
    33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
  • imageRJMbim:

I wanted to but because we are fostering to adopt the lines were way too blurry...I even had a dr call me disgusting and unnatural but hey...look into it and by all means go fo rit if it is what you would like to do- it was what we wanted but it was not an option.

GL!

This makes me feel very angry. Beside being horribly misguided, I wonder if there was some racism involved.  I am so sorry that a physician (who should have been supporting your decision to aid in the immune system, avoiding obesity, and improving the neurological development of your baby) tried to make you feel dirty. 
    33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
  • We tried but my daughter would not latch on at all. I am actually recovering from very bad bite marks. LOL :)

I nursed my 3 bio boys, so we just wanted to see how she did. I had a Lact-aid handy, but she just refused over several tries to latch. Oh well! 

• I am starting! I just got a pump.

I am opting to not take drugs, but am open to herbs if needed.

I have some Lactaids and am in touch with an lactation consultant. My plan is to find an LC in the area where our baby will be born so that there is someone who can hopefully help me in person those first few days.

My goal is bonding and hopefully 1 feeding a day of breastmilk. I am not looking to provide sole nutrition. If it happens (it does happen with some women), awesome. But I want to try to set myself up for success! 

• Wow I so totally didn't know this was possible! I would love to try adoptive breastfeeding. What do I search for on the internet and what kind of doctor do I need to talk to and how do you actually get your milk to flow? Drugs or just pumping or what? This would be such an amazing bonding chance. It's early but our BM is due probably in March or April and so I have plenty of time to get this figured out right? If any one wants to....could you give me more information and PM me? Thanks!
  • There are lots of good sites on there about adoptive breastfeeding. Google!

Basically, it's not pregnancy that induces lactation, it's hormones and then the sucking of a baby. A pump can help bring milk in, but from everything I've read, there is no pump in the world that can mimic what a baby can do. That is why supplemental nursing aids are so great -- it's a tube that is connected to a bottle/bag; the baby latches on to your nipple and then you thread the tube into his mouth, and he pulls formula/banked breastmilk that way. So he's getting fed AND stimulating lacatation.

It's not the easiest system, from what I've read, but I read one blog by a mom who had NEVER been pregnant, who was breastfeeding 100% by month 3.

• imageHannaB:

There are lots of good sites on there about adoptive breastfeeding. Google!

Basically, it's not pregnancy that induces lactation, it's hormones and then the sucking of a baby. A pump can help bring milk in, but from everything I've read, there is no pump in the world that can mimic what a baby can do. That is why supplemental nursing aids are so great -- it's a tube that is connected to a bottle/bag; the baby latches on to your nipple and then you thread the tube into his mouth, and he pulls formula/banked breastmilk that way. So he's getting fed AND stimulating lacatation.

It's not the easiest system, from what I've read, but I read one blog by a mom who had NEVER been pregnant, who was breastfeeding 100% by month 3.

I sent you a PM HannaB if you want to give me some more info. This is so great!

• I did, but my situation was a bit unique.  I was already lactating and nursing my bio son who was 3.5 months when my DD came home at 7.5 months.  A month before she came home I added in extra pumping sessions to increase my milk supply (which I was lucky to have an overabundant supply already).  When she came home I was able to provide about 75% of her nutrition with pumped milk and mixed it with 25% formula.  I was still able to maintain sufficient supply for my DS and not have to supplement for him.  

We attempted to nurse from the breast several times, but it wasn't until she was 18-20 months that she latched.  She nursed once a day until she was about 27 months.  I am still nursing my DS once a day.

• @LovedbyHim316 -- I read one article where the amom said if she did it again, she wouldn't even PUMP, that was how unnecessary she found it. That she started lactating from the sucking of her daughter. (She used a supplemental nursing system in the early days to make sure her daughter was getting fed.)

I've made the decision to pump in the hope that I will start lactating and can start banking milk to be used when we bring home a baby, either via bottle or an SNS. We'll see how it goes.

• I did!! It was an amazing experience and I was able to breastfeed for 4 months!. I pumped every 3 hours for 4 months prior to our sons birth and took fenugreek seed and blessed thistle. I got milk one week into pumping, and I had never lactated before:) It was an excellent bonding tool for our son. About 2 months into lactating I was not producing much. I did take some Motillium/Domperidone to try and increase my suppply (it did help some) I went to a Lactation Consultant and purchased a Supplemental Nursing System... It was amazing.  I got all of my info from www.asklenore.com Good Luck and God Bless You...

PM me if you want to chat :)

Ashlene Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Awesome! How was it using the SNS tubing?
  • I am excited to see that so many of you have had success or are going to try to BF!  I read about this in a book a couple months ago and thought it would be really neat.  Then I put it out of my mind thinking that people would think it is weird.  I am encouraged by reading these posts and think I might try.  How have people reacted to you breastfeeding you child?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"