Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Driving 15 hours with a 3 and 1 year old?

Any tips? I am not really worried about driving that far with Braelyn, but nervous as hell doing it with Carly. My brother is also going with me.

Any tips to make this go smoothly???

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Driving 15 hours with a 3 and 1 year old?

• Options
    we just drove from VA to FL with a 1 year old and a 3 year old.  We left in the middle of the night and that made a world of difference.  Also, we have the DVD player in the car so they watched movies.  Also we made a point to take out the kids at every rest stop so they could run for a bit. 
  • Options

imagekellnbri:
    we just drove from VA to FL with a 1 year old and a 3 year old.  We left in the middle of the night and that made a world of difference.  Also, we have the DVD player in the car so they watched movies.  Also we made a point to take out the kids at every rest stop so they could run for a bit. 

If DH was going we would be leaving at bedtime and driving throughout the night, but with my brother driving this makes me really nervous. Good idea on the rest stop and letting them run for a bit.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I second the DVD player.  I also bought a few new toys that were car friendly and kept them hidden until the trip.  That way they had new things that would hold their attention for those long stretches between stops.  I also packed a little cooler with snacks/fruit.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options

we drove ny to nola..... 2 full days each way.  we leave early while the kids are still asleep...  stop around b'fast time.. change their clothes, potty break, let them walk a bit... put them in the car give them bfast and go.   at stops we let them out for potty.. park at the far end of a rest stop so they can walk.  at lunch, we stop some place with a play area or at a park w/ playground.  dh and I eat while the kids run...  we give them a good hour.  set them back in the car with their lunch and start a movie. usually they eat, and fall asleep for a nap during the movie. 

in the mornings we play games like I Spy (something whatever color) or Find the Letter (on the hwy signs)... or we make up stories.

pack snacks and plan on stops. we stopped every 3 hours on avg... gas, potty (we had them go every gas stop too), meals.   they do well if we stop that frequently.  

• Options
    We drove from NYC to Louisville, KY this summer with the two kids.  We actually were really busy before the drive, which left the kids tired so they slept a nice amount of the trip, which helped lol!  Julia had lots of books, a magna doodle and a DVD player and did really well.  Emma slept a lot and played with a few small toys I brought and did fine too.  I really think the trick was that they started the trip overtired and they're both car sleepers, so they slept quite a bit of the drive.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We have done 12 hours with three kids.  We left at night and stayed the night in a hotel about half way and then drove the rest of the way in the AM. It worked for us especially since DS2 was really little and nursing often!

We used the DVD player lots and stopped at places for lunch/breakfast with places the kids could run (McDonalds).   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"