Pre-School and Daycare

Air Travel with 3 yr old q's

We are planning a vacation...and we are flying.  This will be DS's first, it is a two hour flight.  Just hoping to gather some good tips from those of you who have flown with a preschooler before.  We have some new, never-seen-or-played-with toys to bring along, as well as some old faves (Tag Jr., Color Wonder pads, etc).  Thinking of bringing portable DVD player...

Thoughts on checking car seat?

Any advice, tips, do's, don't's anyone would like to add would be great!  Thanks!!!!!

Re: Air Travel with 3 yr old q's

• *  snacks are your friend.  Bring a lot.  I'd also bring an empty sippy or water bottle and fill up after you get through security.

*  bring a couple changes of clothes just in case

*  fav blanket

*  try to get him used to what will happen at the airport beforehand.  I picked up a couple books on amazon to refresh DD's recollection as she tends to freak out in security.  So I found 1 soft book called Airport and another coloring book by Dover, I think, about airports and flying.  She loved both and it helped to have a point of reference when going through the process in the airport.

*  portable DVD player is nice to have.  With a 2 hr flight, you might not need it but I also found it invaluable at our destination.

*  remember the plane might be chilly so dress or have available clothing options accordingly.  

*  consider bringing something that might serve as a pillow.

*  think about noise level for those around you and leave anything really loud and annoying at home (or at least in the suitcase)

*  don't forget to bring a ziploc bag of meds -- even if the only things in there are neosporin, saline spray, generic Tylenol and ibuprofen (with syringes and measuring cups).  Bandaids are wise to bring along too.

* re the car seat -- it's a personal preference.  I will say that I have known someone whose car seat was lost in transit.  So that person had to wait at the airport while someone ran and bought one (they weren't renting a car).  And I will offer that the ones at the car rental places are vile -- did that once and never again.  We have checked ours in the past with no problem and we have gate checked ours with no problem.  Depends on your risk tolerance and tolerance for lugging a cumbersome and heavy car seat through the airport. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Snacks, snacks, snacks. I usually pack a snack of last resort, too - for my DD, that's strawberry yogurt-covered pretzels.

I usually pack one backpack with snacks and space for DD's blanket and favorite stuffed animals. The second bag has other toys and my stuff (which is minimal, since I spend most of the flight entertaining her - I usually pack a magazine and my purse). 

I buy a waterbottle with a "sports" lid after we get through security. Easier than dealing with a cup on the plane, and no waiting for the flight attendant.

I take DD to the bathroom in the airport shortly before we board the plane. She is always too freaked out by airplane bathrooms to pee.

Even in the summer, I dress DD in long sleeve/pants. Most of the time, I put her in cute cotton PJs so that she's extra cozy. Always pack a change of clothes, too.

I bought an Eddie Bauer carseat cover at TRU. It's survived many flights and my carseat has never been damaged (I usually pack a few stuffed animals and strap them into the seat, too, when we're going to a place where I think DD will need toys). Just check the carseat with the rest of the luggage - and it doesn't count against your luggage quota, and you don't have to pay for it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a DVD player for a 2 hr flight, but that's just me.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Right  before DD turned 2, all worries about being on the plane disappeared.  Every flight since then has been great!  Hopefully you'll get lucky, too.

I still try to bring a new sticker book or one of those magnet sets.  But really?  We don't need them.  She's happy to sit and chat. Or look out the window.  Most of the airlines we fly have tvs on the backs of the seats on many of their planes so she might watch a program or two.  She likes the inflight magazine.  Loves ordering an orange juice and choosing a snack for herself. 

I actually prefer traveling with DD over DH.  She's pleasant as a peach.  He kinda gets on my nerves.  :P

Good luck!  You might be surprised.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"