Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Allergic reaction to penicillin?

I know it's not toddler related- sorry.  I took 7 days worth of amoxicillan and was fine.  2 days after that I broke out head to toe in a rash.  I'm going to a clinic that is open on Sundays but I don't know how much confidence I have in the quality of the doctor. 

Just curious if anyone had a reaction and how long it took to clear up and what you took for it.  It's freaky seeing so many red spots all over my body and I want it to go away fast!

Thanks!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Allergic reaction to penicillin?

• Options

You can take an anitihistamine (Benadryl, Zyrtec, Claratin). I sounds like you got hives from it, which is a typical reaction. I'm allergic to penicillin and my hands/feet/joints got swollen and very itchy, which is basically the way hives are in your hands & feet because they are deeper then hives on the rest of your skin.

If it's really bad, they might give you an IV of Benadryl and steroids to get ride of the hives. I had that done last summer at the ER for chronic hives, and now have to take Zyrtec daily to combat it.

GL and I hope you feel better soon! That can be scary.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options

Ugh.  I'm sorry.

That happened to my son right after he turned 1.  It was so sad.  Didn't seem to itch or bother him, but it looked awful.  He was covered.  I noticed a few bumps on his belly after his nap, then a few more later that day.  By the next morning, he was literally covered face and all.  I don't know if its because he was so little or not, but I don't think they gave him anything.  We just had to wait it out.  I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but I'd say it took close to 2 weeks before he was cleared up.  He was much better after a couple days, but certainly not totally clear for close to 2 weeks.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for your responses. 

2 weeks to clear up?  Oh my gosh!   I went to a clinic but I didn't ask how long it would take to clear up.  I assumed a few days.  I have a wedding to go to next weekend- I'll have to hide from the camera! 

I did break out in hives - and they gave me something stronger than Benadryl. I had my 3 year old with me and the doc laughed and said he would give me something that wouldn't make me drowsy- so I could keep up with my son (who was destroying the examination room because he was so bored waiting for an hour!)

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"