Health & Exercise

Okay, Jillian...

So, I read on Jillian Michael's website that she wants us to eat 12 calories daily for each pound...ummm. For me, that is over the recommended amount, not just for nursing moms, but also for Anybody daily. What to do?? I'm thinking about maybe just going to 1800 calories a day. I haven't had a supply problem since my birth control pills got messed up. Can't I just take some of my herbal supplements if it starts to drop? They helped before. I'm so sick of being huge! My mom took a picture of me and LO today and it was TERRIBLE. I have got to do something. I'm on the 30 day shred, I just keep getting interrupted (as in can't find the time everyday) because LO is pretty high maintenence and will not sleep. I BF and am not gaining, but not losing either. I have about 45 lbs. to go.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Okay, Jillian...

• I'm not a mom yet, and haven't begun breastfeeding, but everything I've read about calorie requirements during breastfeeding says that 1800 calories is the minimum to maintain a good supply. If you're adding exercise in the mix, I would think you would need to be higher than that.

If I were you, here is what I would do: Start tracking your current food consumption (use something like sparkpeople.com to make it easier). Once you know your current consumption, add in exercise without changing your calorie intake. If you don't have any supply issues with that, start lowering your calorie intake by 50-100 calories per week.

It may take you a while to find the right balance for your body, and I don't think you will lose a huge amount of weight immediately this way, but going down slowly might make it easier to monitor your supply, make sure it doesn't tank and be gentler on your body and more sustainable in the long run.

Personally, I would avoid using herbal supplement etc. unless you genuinely need them. Trying to find a balance on your own seems like a better way for both your body and your baby. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• When I did her last program I did 12 x my goal weight, which wasn't very many calories. I second the pp- figure out what you're eating now and reduce gradually to see if it affects your supply. I don't really buy blanket statements of calorie needs. Everyone is different. After all, one of my pg books said that all pregnant women should eat 2200-2700 calories a day, which would make me gain weight like an elephant. I am easily gaining a pound a week eating closer to 1700-1800.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"