Hawaii Babies

Should I switch to organic formula? Which one?

Kailani never took to the breast so I exclusively pumped for 3 months and over the last month and a half my milk supply has dwindled so much that I don't pump any more. So she's taking formula (enfimil) + rice cereal (gerber) and we start veggies this weekend (per our pedi's rec).

We are going to give her organic baby food, earth's best, which got me thinking if we're going to do organic shouldn't we go all the way??? So....for those of you who had to give their baby formula, did you feed your baby organic? Why or why not? If you do/did feed your baby organic formula, what brand did you select and why?

Also did any of you switch from regular formula and/or rice to organic formula and/or whole grain rice? How did you do it?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Heather and Mark | Lanikuhonua 8-14-08

Re: Should I switch to organic formula? Which one?

• Henry never took to the breast, either, and we just stopped trying to get him to this week.  Right now I'm pumping, but I have a low supply, so we also give him formula.  We use Enfamil Premium.  Honestly, I suppose the main reason we use it is that our pediatrician gave us a whole case as samples, and it seems to work just fine, so we never bothered switching.  It sounds silly, but it never occurred to me to give him organic formula, even though I plan to make our own baby food/use organic once he starts solids.

I suppose I'm not much help! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I believe Earth's Best has a formula (I've seen it at Whole Foods)...if you're planning to use their jarred food why not try their formula too?  You can also DIY your own food really easily...check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for tips and ideas.
  • Loading the player...
  • We just use regular formula - I've never even seen organic here (then again, I've never seen organic cow's milk here either, so I suppose it's not surprising that they don't seem to have organic formula readily available lol!).

As far as baby food goes, we're DIYing it, mostly because it's really cheap and really easy to make. Stick out tongue But I also figure fresh veggies steamed/boiled at home is about as healthy as you can get, and of course would have even less in the way of additives than organic baby food (if that's your concern). I don't know if that might be an option for you?

• imageredshoegirl:

But I also figure fresh veggies steamed/boiled at home is about as healthy as you can get, and of course would have even less in the way of additives than organic baby food (if that's your concern). I don't know if that might be an option for you?

You are absolutly right and I know homemade babyfood is super easy. It is an option but honestly I am so tired when I get home from work. Plus I miss my baby that all I want to do is play with her. I guess I can do a batch on the weekend. I'll admit it I'm just too lazy...that so horrible to say out loud.

FYI...I'm doing organic because of the pesticdes used on the veggies and fruit. Thinking of switching to organic whole grain rice cereal too.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Heather and Mark | Lanikuhonua 8-14-08
  • imageliubride510:

You are absolutly right and I know homemade babyfood is super easy. It is an option but honestly I am so tired when I get home from work. Plus I miss my baby that all I want to do is play with her. I guess I can do a batch on the weekend. I'll admit it I'm just too lazy...that so horrible to say out loud.

FYI...I'm doing organic because of the pesticdes used on the veggies and fruit. Thinking of switching to organic whole grain rice cereal too.

Oh I get that, trust me - I take short cuts when I can find them. Smile I guess the one good thing about DIY though, is that even if you're feeling tired/lazy on the weekend, it's easy to make all of the meals in one hit. One sweet potato cooked and mashed = an entire week worth of baby food, since they don't need something different every day. 100% NOT trying to guilt you or be judgey or anything...just explaining why *I* do it (well, that and the money, since I'm a cheapass and twins are expensive lol). Smile

I really wish Australia would get on the organic bandwagon. I remember a while back we did a "What kind of milk do you drink" poll on the Nestie board and I was the ONLY person who didn't reply with some form of organic milk. It's just not sold here, at least not anywhere that I've lived (maybe it's available in the big cities like Sydney or Melbourne, but not outside of them). When I bought the boys their rice cereal, I went to four different stores and they all had the exact same brands and selection, so I couldn't even buy something based on ingredients - I just had to take what was there. Sad

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"