Secondary IF

HSG?

I'm back after taking a break from the boards and have a WWYD? for you ladies.

A little re-intro:  

It took us nearly 3 years of TTC and DH briefly taking Clomid to get pregnant with DD due to MFI.  We've been TTC#2 for 21 months now with DH on Clomid for a year with nothing but BFNs.                                            

We met with the RE for the first time earlier this week to get the ball rolling.  I had a vaginal u/s that showed I had indeed just O'd and everything that he could see via u/s looked great.  He mentioned doing an HSG this next cycle to clear me of having a blocked tube and DH scheduled his SA.  We are 100% OOP and the HSG will run us an estimated $1,200 alone.  DH and I have discussed the scenarios and have decided that what we do will depend on his SA and what the RE says regarding IUI vs. IVF w/ ICSI as options for us.  If he says IUI is an option for us, we are financially prepared to give up to 3 IUIs a shot as soon as possible.  However, if he says that IUI isn't an option for us and he'd recommend IVF w/ ICSI, we won't be pursuing IVF just yet.  We would like to get our savings built up more before taking that route.  

My question is have any of you passed on doing the HSG?  The way I look at it is that if I do the HSG, we pay $1,200 OOP to either find out that I do or don't have a blockage.  Whether I have a blockage or not and RE comes back after DH's SA recommending IVF over IUI, that $1,200 has been thrown away because we won't be moving forward with IVF just yet.  If the RE comes back and says IUI is an option for us, $1,200 could get us two IUIs.  

The financial part of this kills me!  This would be a much easier decision if our insurance would cover the diagnostic portion of IF at the least, but they don't so all we can do is grin and bear it.

WWYD?

TIA! 

Re: HSG?

• if you have a blocked tube or tubes, iui wouldn't be an option b/c the egg cant make it's way down.

I guess if the RE is basing his decision solely on YH SA and says IUI is an option, I'd schedule the HSG to be sure there isn't  problem on your end. If he recs IVF, then maybe you wan wait a bit on the HSG.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  Your story is similar to how mine went.  We have MFI too.  I did the HSG a while ago and checked out okay.  However IUI will depend on your H's numbers even if you check out okay.  Unfortunately if his numbers are really low or his morphology is really low they might jump right to ICSI anyway, that's what happened to us.  If you aren't in a huge rush, then maybe your DH can try acupuncture and chinese herbs too.  We weren't able to conceive a second time but my DH did have a improvement in his numbers.  Best of luck.  

I just realized I didn't really answer your question.  I would have DH tested and then I probably would do the HSG despite the cost.  You may end up being all clear but IMO it's better to know what you are up against. Depending on the time frame you are looking at for wanting #2, I would probably try more of a natural route before spending the cash on the procedures, if it only MFI.  If it both I would jump right to the most aggressive approach.  That is just what I would do in your shoes though.     

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesmbd:

if you have a blocked tube or tubes, iui wouldn't be an option b/c the egg cant make it's way down.

I guess if the RE is basing his decision solely on YH SA and says IUI is an option, I'd schedule the HSG to be sure there isn't  problem on your end. If he recs IVF, then maybe you wan wait a bit on the HSG.

I agree.   I would see what the SA says and if he even thinks IUI is an option.  If it is, then I would do the HSG.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First of all, I'm so sorry that your insurance doesn't cover IF.  Second, I agree with waiting for the SA results to determine whether or not to do an HSG.  DH initially had mild and now has more moderate MFI.  I had an HSG just prior to the IUI that we conceived DD and while it showed I possibly have a blockage on the right, our RE did feel it helped "clean out" some debris on the left.  On a side note, our RE did feel that IUI increased our chances to get pg being that our primary problem was MFI (whereas I have several friends who have similar diagnoses of MFI whose RE told them their only option was IVF).  GL with whatever you choose!
  • So worth it for peace of mind and to rule out one more issue. You can't put a price on a positive outcome and a healthy baby :)

Me: 35, elevated FSH 10.9, DH: 32, low morph & motility After 2 years and 29 cycles, success au natural! Rylee Jane 9/8/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #2 since March 2008 Cycle #WHO KNOWS!! April 2011 150mg Clomid + HCG + progesterone, 3 follies = BFN May 2011 150mg Clomid + none of the fancy stuff, 3 follies = BFP 6/13/11!! Beta #1 @ 4wks,1day = 95.9 Beta #2 @ 4ks,3days = 298.7, progesterone 164.9 After 3 years & 3 months another answered prayer BabyFetus Ticker <a href="http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n548/yaneverknow30/?action=view
  • I'm with the others - SA first, HSG second.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"