Pregnant after 35
Options

new with question

hello all,

i am new to the board but not new theknot or thenest. I am 40 pregnant with our second, miscarried our first but a health question: I am outragiously itchy. My whole torso. ...back chest arms.... No hives or irregular skin bumps but just plain itchy. Dr. isn't sure what it could be other than hormones. Did anyone else expereinece this or has this? i am scratching to almost bleeding.  I am lotioning like mad... i will go nuts if i have 8 more months. TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: new with question

• Options

Congratulations!

I had severe itchiness in my first pregnancy, but that didn't occur until the 3rd trimester.  They thought I either had a condition called PUPPS (but it wasn't exactly like PUPPS) or something more serious.  Luckily, it wasn't the second after they did further testing.  But unfortunately, itchiness is normal in pregnancy.  Here is something I found on the web re: itchiness and pregnancy.

It's not uncommon to feel itchy, particularly around your growing belly and breasts as your skin stretches to accommodate them. Hormonal changes may also be partly to blame.

Some pregnant women find that their palms and the soles of their feet get red and sometimes itchy. This common condition may be caused by an increase in estrogen. It usually disappears right after delivery.

You may also find that things that normally make you itchy ? dry skin, eczema, food allergies ? make you even itchier when you're pregnant.

Not sure if there is much you can do.  Try not to dry out your skin.  Try a warm (but not hot) oatmeal bath.  Try some Aveeno oil for the shower (I use that).  And if it is really really bad, my dr was really to give me some topical or oral steriods to help.  Sorry...I totally know the pain...but good luck!

• Options

Congratulations!  I too was horribly itchy during the first to early second trimester.  Mostly at nighttime in bed.  My doctor ran liver enzyme tests that came back normal.  He suggested not so hot showers to reduce moisture loss. I used lots of lotion all over.  The itching has subsided, now, and other pregnancy joys have taken over.  Yippee!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow - I had this strange itching too.  Felt like I was one big rash, with strange itching sensations here, there, evrywhere......Thankfully it did go away.  Can't remember exactly when though.  I used a lot of lotion, took showers, and wore soft clothes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"