Maryland Babies
Options

Since it's slow today--Character Clothing

I've always wanted to ask this so here goes. Why are a lot of the girls on TB (not our local) so adament about not putting character clothing on their kids? 

I just don't get it. We went to Gabriel Brother's a few months ago and they had some Sesame Street shirts with Abby and Elmo on them. Ava got so excited when I showed them to her and wouldn't let them go. Of course we got them for her (they were also like $2..a great deal!) 

Do people really not let their kids get character shirts and such just because they have such a problem with it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Since it's slow today--Character Clothing

• Options

Personally, I don't like them BUT I also don't wear character shirts either.  I only have a few t-shirts with anything on the front.

But honestly, I think we've gotten away with it with E because she doesn't watch regular TV, she would have no clue who Abby and Elmo are.  She does watch movies, so if we saw a Buzz or Woody shirt, she would probably get excited. 

I also don't take her clothes shopping all that often (really never) so she doesn't see what I don't buy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    For the record, I don't wear character clothing either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My baby is too young to know any different, but here's my .02.

He has his whole life for the outside, commercialized world to influence what he wears and his sense of style and self.  There's no reason for him to be a walking advertisement for Elmo or Sesame Street or anything right now.  We plan to limit TV, so he won't know what he is missing for awhile.  :)  

That being said, I put on music videos on youtube for the ABCs or the Wheels on the Bus while I'm clipping his nails.  He doesn't do "sitting still" very well and it provides an excellent distraction.  ;) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options

I don't wear any kind of character/obvious label stuff myself.  I just don't want to promote a brand - and pay them (the company) to advertise their product.  It just seems redundant to me.

I also don't want to encourage DD to overly identify w/ those characters and be forced to buy her stuff w/ Elmo, Dora, etc.  Not that I haven't bought her some of that stuff - b/c honestly, the girl loves her some Dora!  But, overall - to me, that stuff is just making DD a little consumer and forcing her to identify w/ a product taht she will then show loyalty to for years ahead.  Some amount of it is OK and inevitable frankly

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    image.KRM.:

My baby is too young to know any different, but here's my .02.

He has his whole life for the outside, commercialized world to influence what he wears and his sense of style and self.  There's no reason for him to be a walking advertisement for Elmo or Sesame Street or anything right now.  We plan to limit TV, so he won't know what he is missing for awhile.  :)  

That being said, I put on music videos on youtube for the ABCs or the Wheels on the Bus while I'm clipping his nails.  He doesn't do "sitting still" very well and it provides an excellent distraction.  ;) 

you said a much better version of what I was trying to say!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

DD saw hardly any TV before the age of 2.  I was very strict - she "watched" the inauguration, Michael Phelps win some gold medals and maybe a half-dozen MD bball games (not in entirety& she went to most of the home games so it was cool to see her identify that she knew the sport, team, etc.)  

When she turned 2 I was very pregnant &started allowing Dora, Diego, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Pooh & friends in limited quantities for the most part.  We also went to Disney and she "met" Snow White.  She loves Pooh, Dora and Snow White.  I am pretty "anti" character clothing for the reasons stated above, but also for the very vain reason that I think there is much cuter stuff out there.  I would rather dress my kid in Janie & Jack or Gymboree than the Disney store.  This being said she has a Minnie shirt from DW (really only worn to bed) and my mom bought her some DISGUSTING light-up Dora sneakers that fit her well and she likes. 

I am fine w/ character PJs & "big girl" pants.  In fact I think saving the characters for those items can be beneficial when you are having bedtime troubling and teaching LO how to use the potty, because then the character items are "special."

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    They're just not my style. I figure there will be plenty of time for her to help decide what she wears, so for now, she wears what I like. (And what other people give her. She does have a Pooh jacket and a My Little Pony t-shirt that she got as gifts.)

• Options
    To be perfectly honest, on a scale of 1-10 for giving a flying hoot, DS wearing character clothing is about a 2.5. He has a few pieces (hand me downs) and I don't really see anything wrong with it. Its not like I dress him in it head to toe every day.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"