Postpartum Depression
Options

How do you tell the difference?

Hi ladies!  First time posting on this board ...

How do you tell the difference between just being hormonal (I've had 2 PP periods so far, and definitely notice PMS) and post-baby blues? 

Lately, I've noticed these things ...

1. Still having anxiety about taking DS out places - whether it's to the store or to a playgroup. I just get so nervous.  

2. guilt. If I miss a playgroup or don't go to the store because of anxiety (or just feeling anti-social), I feel guilty about it.

3. Irritability. I just get so frustrated when I can't make DS happy, and I say negative things to myself (in my head) about disliking myself and/or being a bad mom. This also happens when I'm pumping and it takes forever for my milk to letdown. I need to not be so hard on myself! I know!

I hope I'm not alone!  I have yet to talk to anyone except DH about these feelings.

My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!

Re: How do you tell the difference?

• Options
    So, I just went to my doctor today and was officially diagnosed with PPA and starting on Lexapro. So, I don't know how much I can help, but here's my experience.

I decided it was a problem when it started interfering with other aspects of my life. For example, when I couldn't concentrate at work because I was so worried about her that I am texting my husband every 20 minutes checking on them. Or, that my husband and I can't have a date night because I'm too scared to leave her with a babysitter. That sort of thing is what made me realize that this isn't just normal baby blues.

HTH!
  • Options

At 5mths still being anxious, it would depend on the severity, if you are unable to go anywhere even to family without talking yourself up and feel uncomfortable the whole time then it may be cause of concern. There is a certain amount of anxiety that is normal part of the wiring in the brain for survival purposes.

Feeling guilty is also a normal feeling except when it gets to such an extent as to be dwelt on excessively and disrupting otherwise normal thoughts and behaviors.

Only you can answer if both of those are to such a severity that it is keeping you from your normal behavior and cause to seek help. 

The irritability and negative thoughts is where I am more inclined to say see help over. The way you describe it is often the beginning of a downward spiral, at first you become angry with yourself and then feelings of inadequacy creep in, it can lead to feelings of just wanting to give up and not try. I am not implying that it has to happen, just that if you seek help early rather then later you need not even get to that point.

If these feelings occur during your whole cycle, even if they get worse starting right before and curbing right after menses, then it is not just 'hormonal' related to that. If they are disruptive to your daily life, then it is worth seeking help for.

You are never alone in your feelings. You have already made some great steps in both acknowledging the issues at hand and coming here to ask questions. It would be a good idea to seek out a medical professional, either to see if talk therapy may be enough to curb these feelings or if medication can help regulate your feelings. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"