School-Aged Children
Options

birthday parties

dd just started kindergarten.  she has an "early" birthday (in October) which has me all stressed out b/c I don't have time to figure out what's normal for  bday parties and who her friends will be.  do people typically invite everyone in the class?  or just pick a few people?  The school's only policy is that invitiations be mailed home - not distributed at school.

Re: birthday parties

• Options
    My kids have been to parties where the whole class is invited.  They also have been invited to only boys or only girls of that class were in invited.  I guess it depends what the theme of the party is going to be.  If it's a bowling party it's easier to invite the whole class.  But if it's a "princess" party then I don't think boys would have much fun.
  • Options
    In kindergarten we invited the whole class.  Than 1st-3rd grade just the boys.  And from 4th up we let him invite who he wants to invite. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD turned 5 the day before school started (her bday is 8/22) therefore we didn't invite anyone in the class (beside one friend that happened to be in her class).  Her party was on 8/20.   In preK and K, the teachers will pass out invites but everyone has to be invited.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD started a Pre-K FT program at the elementary school this year and basically, the 1st few kids that have birthdays are setting the tone for what the rest are doing.  So far, the 2 1st kids to have birthdays have invited the whole class.  I know one of the mom's is not planning on doing a party at all and another said she, in the past, has only invited as many kids as her DS is turning but we'll see what she does when the time comes in Jan.  My nephew is a Sept birthday so my sister always sets the tone and she is inviting all the kids in his class (1st grade) to the party.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

Both my kids have late August/early Sept birthdays, and it does make planning a party in the early years kind of tough.  They haven't settled into their friendships yet.

I have never done a "whole class" party for either of my kids because I just don't like big kid parties.  But, my kids have been invited to these types of parties from time to time.  It seems like about half the class shows up, usually mostly the same gender as the birthday kid.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

My DD's K teacher told me to send in whatever invitations I wanted and she would discreetly put them in the kids backpacks so that the other kids wouldn't feel left out. I ended up inviting the whole class since we decided to have the party at a place, instead of my house. If we had gone with a house party, I would have just invited the girls in the class. The party is next weekend, so I guess we'll see how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"