Ohio Babies
Options

Question about a midwife

I just scheduled an appointment with a midwife at Associates in Women's Health in Sylvania. My midwife will be Jonelea Thomas. Anyone use her for delivery?

When I had my daughter at Toledo Hospital, I was very disappointed with the doctor who delivered. It was not my normal doc, which I was expecting to happen anyways. She wouldn't let me deliver in the position I wanted to. I had come up with a birth plan and went over it with my doctor before. She didn't seem to have a problem with it. And on my birth plan I said I want to be able to deliver in any position that's comfortable for me. I tried kneeling on the bed and holding onto the top of the bed (sort of on all fours). It relieved the pain in my back so much! But, she only let me go through a couple contractions like that and then said she has never delivered a baby upside down so I would have to lay on my back. You just catch it woman! You would think a doctor who's delivered probably hundreds of babies would know how to deliver in a different position than on your back, which is more painful for the mom and harder for the baby to come out. I ended up tearing (cause I said no way to an episiotomy!) My friend was with me in the room. She isn't a certified midwife, but she's delivered or helped deliver hundreds of babies and has had 12 herself (11 of them at home). She said if I would have been able to deliver on all fours the baby probably would have come out faster and I wouldn't have torn or been in so much pain, cause I did it natural. Sorry, I'm venting. I'm a little bitter! haha!

Anyways I decided I wanted a midwife who would be more open to that type of stuff. I asked when I set up the appointment if they will deliver in any position and she said, yes of course! So I'm relieved by that. I'm not pregnant right now, but my husband and I are probably going to start trying to get pregnant again soon. But, also my sister-in-law is pregnant and made an appointment with the same office. So she's pretty much wondering the same things I am.

For anyone who has used this midwife or another one at this office, just wondering how the delivery went. Were they open to different things as far as positions and whatnot? Are they more doctor-minded or more geared toward you and the baby? It just seems like a lot of doctors don't really care about you so much, they just want to do their job, deliver the baby and get out of there. Instead of focusing on you and the baby and what's best for you.

Okay, sorry this was so long! Thanks for any input!

Re: Question about a midwife

• Options

I have not delivered with Associates in Women's Health yet, but I have had a great experience with them. I have rotated among all the midwives and would really feel comfortable delivering with any one of them. Since each midwife is on call at different times, you will most likely meet all of them.

I am actually due today and was just in the office to discuss some natural ways to get this party started! I am a first timer and I really feel like the midwives have helped me to feel confident and secure in the fact that I was built to do this.

The impression I get is that they will let you do what feels right during labor, and if something isn't working, they will give you alternative suggestions/positions to try. I took birthing classes through the office and I was given a sheet on multiple positions for labor---standing, sitting, squatting---to name a few.

Good luck! 

• Options
    Thanks so much for your response! That makes me feel a lot better that they support and encourage different positions. I had heard about how you basically just see whatever midwife is on call. I'm fine with that because you never know who you're going to get when you actually deliver, so it would be nice to meet them all. Thanks again! I'm sure you have already had your baby because you responded last week, so congrats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"