Hawaii Babies

DayCare teacher = Grrrrr

Just came home from dropping Maya off at her daycare and I'm about to start looking for an alternative.

Maya was a little upset at dropoff today so I stayed a little longer and observed her from outside (without her knowing I was there still) just to see if she would settle. 

Well, she started to...it was storytime and all the kids were sitting in front of the teacher and Maya looked like she was looking for a spot to sit and hear the story too. Another teacher came up behind her and started pawing at her and Maya was getting annoyed and moving her hands away.

Then the teacher, to my surprise, grabbed Maya by the wrists and yanked her up and carried her that way to the change table. Maya, of course, started crying and got anxious/upset and the teacher's attitude was almost like "Tough. Deal with it kid". Maya stood there at the change table crying while another kid finished getting a diaper change then Maya was lifted up and put on the mat. 

I was standing outside, incredulous! One of the other teachers walked past and asked me if I was checking to see if Maya settled and I said "She WAS settled, until she got yanked off by the wrists!" The woman saw I was angry and went into the room to speak to the teacher concerned.

I went in there and picked Maya up, because they were all crowded around her and she was overwhelmed and beside herself. She wouldn't let me go after that but I eventually let another teacher (who knows Maya better) drag her off me because Sam was out in the hallway in her pram and crying. 

I stood out in the hallway waiting for her to settle again, contemplating just signing her out and taking her home because I heard another teacher telling Maya "STOP IT NOW, MAYA!". The director ended up going in there (maybe to tell them I was still out there and listening) and she told the carers to back off Maya and leave her be, that she'd settle faster if they left her alone.

Grrrr. I don't expect them to treat her with kid gloves but they (most of them anyway, I think) are aware that Maya MIGHT have an austism spectrum disorder and that they need to be a little more sensitive to that (learn a little about it and how to deal with kids that have it perhaps because, lets face it...it's common for a kid to have an ASD these days). 

Thing is, kids deserve to be treated with respect too. They wouldn't just go up to an adult who is in the middle of doing something and yank him/her off by the wrists to where THEY want the person to be. Just because they can physically do that to a kid doesn't mean they should!

Vent over lol!

Re: DayCare teacher = Grrrrr

• That's just awful...I am so sorry that happened to Maya but am glad you stuck around and were able to see what is really going on there.  You're right, NO BODY deserves to be manhandled the way she way, especially small children who are defenseless agains such aggressive treatment.  Regardless of Maya's potential ASD or other sensitivities, I think you should definitely try to find an alternative day care/preschool option...hopefully one that is more respectful of the little people who they are entrusted to look after and teach.
  • Super sad, I would have taken her home right then and there. I have NO patience for people who treat kids like idiots or disrespectfully. They DESERVE respect just like any person with a heart and soul. They DO understand. Bella is one and completely understands MANY things that you say to her. It's completely amazing to me. I would not have tolerated them to speak to her that way or to handle her in that manner. Did you have a conversation with the director? I hope that you did. Whether or not she has something on the ASD is beside the point, she's a person and deserves to be treated kindly and with respect!! 

It's concerning to me that they did this to Maya, does that mean it's ok for them to do this to ALL kids in the center? To me that is 100% not ok! I would explain to the director your concern for Maya and for other kids in the center. If there's any confusion then I would let her know that Maya doesn't need to attend care there any longer.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageMrsZiz:

Whether or not she has something on the ASD is beside the point, she's a person and deserves to be treated kindly and with respect!!

this. you have every right to be upset. i would talk to them about and then find another place for her.

• Wow.... I would be upset too. That's so wrong. I'm so sorry you and she had to go through that! How awful. :-(
    Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemrspresley:
    imageMrsZiz:

Whether or not she has something on the ASD is beside the point, she's a person and deserves to be treated kindly and with respect!!

this. you have every right to be upset. i would talk to them about and then find another place for her.

This, absolutely.

That just does NOT fly - there is no excuse for manhandling a child (well OK, if it was an emergency situation and she had to be yanked away from something dangerous, then sure - but that wasn't the case here).

• I would be SO upset!  I hope you get to talk to someone and even get into another daycare if possible.  Poor girl!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"