Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Up & Up, generic formula really Similac?

My mom just brought up a good point, some generic formula's are really name brand....I am sure they would be included in the recall though if they were affected right?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Up & Up, generic formula really Similac?

• I was thinking the same thing...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, target is very good about that. Also, I think Up and Up is generic Emfamil....
  • Loading the player...
  • From what I understand, this is a voluntary recall of specific Similac products thus generic formula may not be included.

• I wondered this as well.  Surely, it's made in a different plant or at least on a different line - so maybe it's not affected.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about these things can weigh in.

• My son's pedi told me that Up & Up is not really similac.  It's extremely close but not identical.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Its nothing like similac. We tried it out a few weeks go, and DS did horrible on it. He woke up every 2 hours and would only eat 2 ounces at a time. It was awful.... just my input. 

Plus the texture was completely different. With actual similac we stirred it because it foamed up, with up and up we didn't have to but it had lots of residue which I think caused just as much if not more stomach aches then this recalled similac has caused.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I mentioned this over on 6-9, but this recall is voluntary. Therefore, it has more to do with marketing than liability. Since the generics are not linked to a particular product name, they are not as apt to recall as a name brand product. They could have the exact same issues, but will not be as quick to recall. 

• Target formula is made by PBM Nutritionals (so it says on the back of my can) Not Abbott (Similac) or Mead Johnson (Enfamil). I can't speak for any other generics...
  • All generics are made at third party manufacturers (Target doesn't have a plant that makes baby formula, diapers, meds etc). So Target's formula is made at a third party manufacturer somewhere. I used to work at Abbott and know that they make generic products on their lines but I do not know specifically what products those are. But generic products are NOT the same formulations as the name brands - the generics come in with their own formulation or they might work with the food scientists to make something similar but the products are not identical.

If generics were affected, those would have been recalled too so I would not worry about it if they are not mentioned.

no
  • imagetbone22308:
    Target formula is made by PBM Nutritionals (so it says on the back of my can) Not Abbott (Similac) or Mead Johnson (Enfamil). I can't speak for any other generics...

I was just about to post the same thing.  Target's Up & Up formula is made my PBM Nutritionals.

• imagedanto:

I wondered this as well.  Surely, it's made in a different plant or at least on a different line - so maybe it's not affected.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about these things can weigh in.

BTW - there are not that many lines in a large scale production plant. They have high volume, high throughput lines which means they don't need to have very many. Obviously different products require different packaging sometimes but upfront, the process is very much the same,. Basically mix the ingredients in several big tanks, combine those tanks and then do further processing like homogenization and sterilization (unless the product is sterilized in the package, in which case this occurs last). I am simplifying here but you get the idea.

The last step in making formula into powder is using a spray dryer which is a very large, very very expensive piece of equipment so at any given plant, all the powder products they make most definitely get made on the same spray dryer. Abbott only has 2 spray dryers in the entire US to make all of their powdered product sold here.

no
  • imagepurplecrayon:

imagetbone22308:
    Target formula is made by PBM Nutritionals (so it says on the back of my can) Not Abbott (Similac) or Mead Johnson (Enfamil). I can't speak for any other generics...

I was just about to post the same thing.  Target's Up & Up formula is made my PBM Nutritionals.

This.  Almost all store brands are made by PBM. 

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• I looked around and discovered that Abbott (which makes Similac) does carry a generic of their formula under Costco's Kirkland brand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"