Potty Training
Options

Setting up for a battle?

DD refuses to go potty in public restrooms. Screams, arches her back, etc. I don't want to push it, since she is about 3 weeks potty trained at all, and she is only just now 2.

Anwyays, I bring her frog potty and put it in the back of my suv, and have her go before we go in somewhere if it's been a while. She goes right away, and it's pretty dang easy for me.

I am totally fine with this for now, but wonder if she will NEVER want to use the big potty ever? I can see this 6 months down the road with a newborn, and DD freaking out cause the frog potty has stopped traveling with us. 

Thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Setting up for a battle?

• Options

We're in a similar situation, only I don't have a car, so I carry  a potty seat around with teh stroller (!!!). DS won't go easily in public restrooms. Last week, I tried to find a corner of the bus station for him to go on his potty (classy, I know!) because he refused to go into the ladies room with me and kept saying  he needed to pee.

I hope that it comes wtih time, as they get more confident and comfortable with things. Like pooping on the potty - my friends say that takes time too, so I'm just trying to be patient and go with what works now.

At least you have the car! :)

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Options
    I have the potty in the car but use the foldable seat for the big toilet. I call it Liv's "special seat". It helps
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow sounds like all our kids are at the exact same point. Doing great at home with the PT, but the public bathroom situation is a struggle. I have one that does pretty good with going on public toilets for pee, but cannot get her to tell me before she has to poop when we are out. The other one is great with PT at home including pooping on the big potty, but flips out if I try to put her on a public toilet, arches back to try to jump off toilet, crying meltdown mess.

I have also tried this week with the portable potty in the back of our SUV and so far neither one is willing to go on it, but I will keep trying. So for now I am doing pullups out in public. Not happy about it, but panties only in public is just too stressful on us all. I too am hoping in a couple of months as they get older they will start to warm up to the idea of using the public bathroom like mommy does and it will no longer be an issue. I think it is great that they have got the understanding of using the potty at home and that is a very big accomplishment for our kids.

• Options

Well, we kinda have the opposite problem! DD is in love with public bathrooms.  Before she was PTed she'd ask all the time to use them (although she would never actually pee on them or anything!). Now that she's PTed she will use them.  Saturday we were at dinner and I had to take her 3 times to go potty (and she did have to go!)

But at home she has been giving us issues when we know it's been a while since she's gone and we ask her to go. She'll fight us and do what you said, arch her back, cry, meltdown. For the most part we let her tell us when she needs to go, but sometimes we do try to force it and that causes the meltdown.

What we have been trying this weekend is reinstating rewards (a piece of cookie). And we found bottles of soap she's really excited about (purple one and a fish one which she loves).  So now if I think it's been a while since she last went and she probably needs to go, but she's refusing. I tell her she can get her reward if she uses the potty without fighting. And I tell her she can then wash her hands with her favorite soap.  I know the soap idea might not be convenient to bring out, but what about a reward? 

I don't think there's much wrong with having the travel potty if you need it. But I wouldn't want to deal with that forever either. 

Do you think she's frightened of the public bathrooms?  Does she freak out just going in there, or when you try to put her on?  What about just making sure she goes before you leave somewhere and see how it goes?  Just remind her and if she refuses, see how things go. Maybe she might have an accident, but that's not a big deal/

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

At home does she use the frog potty or a potty ring?  When we PT my DS we used his potty for only maybe 1-2 weeks and then started to use a potty ring.  At first when we went out we would bring a spare ring but that got to be too big and so I found a collaspable ring that we take and he never has a problem.  He was young when he PT too (younger than your daughter) so I would think since its so new for your DD, now would be the time to change.

• Options
    image*LrCg*:

At home does she use the frog potty or a potty ring?  When we PT my DS we used his potty for only maybe 1-2 weeks and then started to use a potty ring.  At first when we went out we would bring a spare ring but that got to be too big and so I found a collaspable ring that we take and he never has a problem.  He was young when he PT too (younger than your daughter) so I would think since its so new for your DD, now would be the time to change.

She uses the frog potty. I am thinking if we transition her to the ring at home, that will help with the public potty. It's just so easy to have that frog out wherever we are playing. The good thing is now, when she says she needs to go, she can hold it til we get to the potty, whereas when it was so new, it was like a *right now* kind of thing. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"