Texas Babies
Options

Cloth Diapers

Those of you who cloth diaper, where did you go to buy your cloth diapers in a store? I know I can buy them online but I'm a first time mom and would like to look at and handle a few diapers before deciding on what to buy. I would also like an idea of what your stash looked like for a newborn through 1st year. Thank you!

Re: Cloth Diapers

• Options

I just bought mine online. We're using the grovia diapers and so far I really like them. I like that they're not complicated...I knew I didn't want to deal with having a bunch of different kinds or brands. I could see us getting an AIO or pocket for when they're sleeping longer at night, but right now these are great. For both of the girls I have 18 covers and 52 inserts. We didn't start CDing for a while - Katelynn was maybe 7 weeks old, and we haven't started with Leah yet because she's not big enough yet. 

There used to be a place in Artisan's Alley but I think it closed. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good options here in town (if any). I did A LOT of research online and read the diaperswappers.com message boards. I spent about $100 on FSOT diapers from diaperswappers to look at different kinds and see what I thought I'd like. I never even used or washed any of these and just plan to resell them at some point.

• Options

I also bought online. Here is a blog post I did... hth!

https://watchingourfamilygrow.blogspot.com/search/label/diapers

For the NB stage, both my dh and I really liked fitteds with a cover. It worked the best for us.  

Now I prefer pockets... he likes AIO (and always has.)

I think it's important to have a variety... GL! We are very happy w/ our decision to CD and I know for a fact we've saved a bundle! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've never been but Eden's baby is supposed to carry cloth diapers in San Antonio.  There is also a trial package through Jilliansdrawers.com on line where you rent the diapers and they send a variety to you and you just keep the ones you like.   We just ordered online after I spoke with a mom who cloth diapered at a La Leche League meeting.   For us we use bumgenius, fuzzibunz and smartipants cloth diapers.

We started out with 12 small Bumgenius AIO and 12 small Fuzzibunz pocket diapers at a month old.  This was enough diapers to do a load of was every one to two days and hang them dry.   The small Bumgenius diapers lasted us until about 4 months and 16 pounds while I'm just now putting away the small Fuzzibunz diapers at 5 and a half months and 17 1/2 lbs.  These were pretty comparable to their one size counterparts except the bumgenius being AIO took at least twice as long to hang dry.

We now use one size 12 Bumgenius, 12 Fuzzibunz and 12 Smartipants, which is more than enough with doing laundry every 2 to 3 days and hang drying the diapers.  All of my one size are pocket diapers which means they have stuffers that need to be stuffed into the diaper after washing.   The thing that surprised me the most is that for the most part if I throw a diaper in the wash with the stuffer in it, by the time the wash is done 99% of the time the stuffer has worked itself out of the cover.  So no need to remove them prior to washing.  

As for diapers, my husband prefers the bumgenius since they have velcro and are the most like a disposable to put on, he can do the snaps on the other two brands but doesn't like to deal with it.   I don't have too much of a preference there are pros and cons to each one.

Bumgenius Pros:  Easy for the husband and grandmas to put on.   They are cut wider through the seat they are easier to stuff.   They seem to keep my son drier than the other two brands.  They come with newborn inserts

Cons:   The Velcro doesn't hold up as well as snaps do.   They are bulkier than the Fuzzibunz.   The velcro will catch on my clothes sometimes when he's wearing them without any clothes on. 

Fuzzibunz:  Pros The insides seem to be the softest and they are the least bulky of the diapers.  They also have snaps.  They come with extra elastic and inserts.

Cons:  They are narrow through the seat so they are the most difficult to stuff but not terribly hard.  The snaps aren't as adjustable as the velcro.  Every once in the water with a watery bowt movement there will be leakage through the seams sown around the legs, this may be because my son has very large infrequent bowel movements, but something to note.  They also have adjustable elastic in the legs which is kind of weird in my opinion

Smartipants: Pros:  Cheapest of all the diapers, they run about $14.95 per diaper.   They are also the easiest to stuff since they have an opening at both ends for the insert.   They also have more snaps than the fuzzibunz so a bit more adjustable on the waist.  

Cons:  The same leakage problem I mentioned with the Fuzzibunz.  The inside of the diapers is a bit rougher than both the Fuzzibunz and the Bumgenius.

Overall if I was going to buy some more I would probably get more Bumgenius because they are the ones my husband prefers and the leakage at the seams of the other two.

Sorry it is so long I hope this helps you.

• Options
    Thank you for your experiences. It's really helped me a lot. I've heard and read a lot about bumgenius. I think I'll have to get me one of those trial packs. Again, Thank you.
  • Options
    I CD'ed my first child and loved it....I only went to Eden's Baby (that's it, right? lol) once and they had a horrible selection.  So I only bought online.  I purchased from Go Baby Go - an online store that's based out of SA.  And a friend of mine owns East Coast Cloth and has an online store too - Erin is absolutely amazing and super helpful.  She'll answer tons of questions even if you want to call and talk to her. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"