Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks?

Anyone read this book? It recommends feeding your LO every 4 hours,4 times a day, on a schedule, and then putting LO in the crib for the other 12 hours. Thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks?

• Options
    My DD will never last 4 hours between meals... wont work for me.   I think babies will sleep through the night when they're ready.  I'm not one to try to force anything.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Until we hit the 4 month wakeful, LO was eating 4 ounces every 2 hours and was going 11 hours at night!! Too bad that's over :/
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageQmommy:
    My DD will never last 4 hours between meals... wont work for me.   I think babies will sleep through the night when they're ready.  I'm not one to try to force anything.

Adi was STTN, then hit the 4 month wakeful, and he is averaging 4 hours at a time at night...I'm E X H A U S T E D!! Esp since I have to pick up after DH and his dad, now too...honestly, I think it was easier when it was just me and Adi, and DH was working OOT...sigh...

• Options
    At 12 weeks?  I think that would cause some failure to thrive. Aubrey is still eating every 2 hours during the day, and sleeps 5-6 hours in a row at night. But she's growing like a weed, so it doesn't really matter. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Only 4 feedings a day doesn't seem like nearly enough.
  • Options

imageQmommy:

This.  DS eats every 2 1/2 hours, sometimes every 2, and every 1 1/2 at night..  And there's no way he would stay in his crib for 12 hours straight. 

• Options
    DD is 12 weeks and eats every 3 hours 6 times a day. She either sleeps 12 straight hours now or will wake up once. She goes to bed at 6 and if she wakes up she'll wake up around 2...and then wakes up for the day at 6. I think babies STTN when they're ready. I don't do anything differently from day to day to make her sleep straight through some nights and not others.
  • Options
    DS needs to eat way more often than that. During the day he needs to eat at least every 3 hours and at night, he goes up 6 but generally 4-5 between feedings.
  • Options
    I find it to be horrible horrible advice.
  • Options
    I don't know about that. DD likes to eat every 2.5-3 hours still and she is 18 weeks today. But she has sleeps for 12 hours at night since 10 weeks or so. But she fell into that schedule on her own, so no advice here.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I read the book.  DD was about 15 weeks when I read it. When I read it she WAS eating every 3 -3.5 hours with 3 naps a day and STTN with a 4 am wake up to feed then right back to bed. The only thing I liked in the book was they showed you strategies on how to eliminate the night time (4am) feed.  before i could use it she dropped it on her own.

THEN

I  read baby whisper and at 4 months old they recommend feeding every 4 hours.  SOOOO shortly after she turned 4 months I tried feeding every 4 hours - which DD was fine with, but it was throwing off her nap schedule, which was throwing off her night time sleep  - she went back to getting up at 4am for a feed.

So I went back to the original schedule of eating 3 hours and 3 naps.  She's sleeping for about 10-11 hours now and sometimes is getting up at 4 am still (but not consistently enough that i can use the eliminate feed strategy on the 12 by 12 week book)

Moral of my story: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Options
    DS is 15 weeks old and still eats every 2-2 1/2 hours during the day and he's still on the small side.  I can't imagine only feeding him every 4 hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageIrishBrideND:
    I find it to be horrible horrible advice.

This!

I see the value on getting your LO into a predictable pattern, but I don't think the 12-hour thing sounds like the best approach.

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • Options

Reading the other posters comments, it's obvious I'm in the minority here... but it worked for us.  We read that book when LO was 8 weeks and by 12 weeks she was sleeping 11 hours at night and eating 4 times a day and taking good naps.  She was eating plenty during the day (8 oz per feeding) and definitely didn't have failure to thrive (75% for weight at her 4 month appointment). 

We recently hit the 4 month wakeful period and she's been struggling during the day and at night with sleeping, but we're doing our best and trying to keep her happy (feeding more often, rocking to sleep, etc).  Overall - I would recommend it, but I personally don't think anything would change during the 4 month wakeful...  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"