School-Aged Children
Options

XP: bed wetting

Re: XP: bed wetting

• Options
    We went through this shortly before DS turned 6. He had just started Kindergarten and I really think the change set him off. He had SEVERAL accidents, not just 2. He also tried to cover it up as sweating or spilling water. I think some of the accidents were also because he didn't want to give up his swing or spot at a certain toy to go to the bathroom. Maybe he can tell you what's going on. If the problem continues, maybe you can talk to a guidance counselor.
  • Options

My son, also 6, occasionally wets the bed.  He will have long dry spells, but then go through about a week where he will wet the bed 2 or 3 times.  Then it's back to a long dry spell again.

I have spent considerable time talking to his pediatrician about it.  There can be many reasons for occasional wetting, some of which are:

--The child goes a growth spurt where the growth of the body temporarily outpaces the bladder, making it harder than usual for them to hold it all night.

--he can be more sleepy and sleep more soundly for several days, if things have been busy at school or at home over a busy weekend, and can sleep right through "the urge" to pee.

--he can get distracted during the nighttime routine and not empty his bladder fully.

--his bladder or urethra coud be irritated, making it feel like he's done peeing, when his bladder isn't fully empty before bed.

--he could be thirstier at dinner or in the evening, and drink more than normal, and it catches up with him at night.

For my son, since it's a fairly regular problem, I just make sure he concentrates on emptying his bladder REALLY WELL at bedtime for a few days, and it seems to get better.  Or, I offer to wake him up when I go to bed for a few days to make sure he can make it through the night.

My pediatrician assures me that this will get gradually better and end before he's 12.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"