Potty Training
Options

Where do I start?

DD just turned 2. We have had a potty in both bathrroms since like January just to get her used to them. When we first brought out the potty she was interested and actually went a couple times.But after a month or so she lost intrest and actually started getting really upset if we asked if she wanted to sit on the potty. So we totally laid off and really havent done anything since.

How do I start for real now tho? I know this can be  long process, but if it doesn't have to be, then I'd like to start fresh and in a good way. What are the steps for this? Should I just give up diapers and go straight to underwear? This has been the biggest thing I have dreaded since DD was born. Im at a total loss here.

Re: Where do I start?

• Options
    We PT DS at 17 months.  What we did was have him go naked one day and write down all the accidents (and they were all accidents) so that way we had an idea of his schedule.  The next day we did underwear (we did not up his fluid intake) and we set a timer for 30 minutes.  At 30 minutes it was time to run to the potty, chase to the potty, dance to the potty, etc.  If he sat on it he got an M&M, if he went pee he got 2 M&Ms.  We did not make him sit for a long period of time, basically when he wanted up, he got up.  We didn't ask him if he wanted to go, we just said hear that (timer), its time for the potty.  He did not resist us.  By day 3 we increased the time to 30 minutes (we increased it to 45 at day 2) and we were no longer giving M&Ms for just sitting- you had to produce.  Again, there was no fight about going- the timer was in control not us.  Honestly at day 2 we had more success than accidents and at day 3 we had maybe 1 accident.  By day 5 we were accident free daytime, naps and only damp at night.  By day 7 we were golden and he was telling us so we ditched the timer.  It was very easy.  Its been over 6 months, and he's never had regression.  For him, it was important for it to be successful and the timer allowed him more opportunities for success and it took the fight out of going to the potty.
  • Options
    Wow, awesome job! Good for you guys, I think your advice was great, im going to give that a go.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yeah, M&Ms have been a total life saver for us.  We also do a potty dance when he goes.  I look like a total fool jumping around and cheering him on, but it makes him so happy, and he gets excited that he went in the potty.

Also, when he does have an accident in his underwear, I just remind him in a normal voice that we pee in the potty, not in our underwear.  I figure he's spent 2 years peeing whenever he had to go, that it must be pretty easy to forget that he's not wearing a diaper and needs to use the potty instead.

My DH and I also have him come watch us when we go.  I'll narrate what I'm doing, and then let him flush the toilet.  There have been a few times that he's tried to push me off the toilet, telling me "All done!" just so he could flush.  Makes me laugh.

Lastly, when my son has a regression (usually right after a perfect, accident free day), I don't force him to go.  I give him the option of underwear or diapers in the morning, occasionally ASK him if he needs to "pee in the potty", and leave it at that.  When he's ready, he starts asking me to go in the potty again.

Not all of this will work for you, since every kid is different, but I hope something does!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hey just one more questions, did you put diapers back on for naps and betimes, or just underwear?? Im not sure how to go about that..I dont want to confuse her with going back to diapers but im not sure if we are all ready for the task of training at night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"