Potty Training

How are you all handling pottying out in public?

I just started working on this with the girls since they are now using the big potty at home accident free. But this just seems to be so challanging for us. I took them to the park this morning (there is a bathroom right next to the playground equipment - that is why I picked this park) and my one girl pooped twice in her pants and the other one peed once in her pants. I limited their drinking before we went out and they both sat on the potty and went before they left the house, the only peed. Now I knew the one that pooped had to poop because she has been trying to go since last night and doesn't want to. She goes poop on the little potty but for some reason has been resisting going poop on the big potty, but that is a whole other issue. When we left the house I told them both they needed to keep their panties clean and dry and to tell mamma when they had to go. Again I told this to them when we got to the park and they both shook their heads yes and went off to play. Am I expecting too much out of them it being our first outing without pull ups and they were playing? I just feel so defeated, because this is like the last hurtle we need to get over to be fully day trained and I will be such a happy camper.

I keep telling myself it is new for them and they will get it, but the thought of having to clean up 3 accidents on a daily basis in a public bathroom is not my idea of fun. Also the one twin fell off the playground equipment because I was trying to get her down because her twin was saying "boo, boo", which means poo for her and she didn't want to come down and her sister was running off to the bathroom by herself and when I went to grab the one off the playground equipment, she stepped back and fell of the equipment. I feel like such a bad mom. I picked her up screaming and tried to comfort her while running to catch up with her twin so she would not walk past the bathroom and into the parking lot. Oh the joys of potty training twins at once!

Anyway, ideas? Should I just try to limit our outings to our neighborhood playground that we can walk to for now or just put them back in pull ups for outings and hope that down the road they will initiate pottying out in public? I just feel like pullups is going backwards not forwards.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How are you all handling pottying out in public?

• We ahve a similar situation. I think DS gets too distracted when out and about, playing, etc. Also, he really doesn't like public toilets with hand dryers - he never has, but i'ts got worse since PTing.

We had a lot of accidents while in underpants, so I tried a week in pull ups to see how he went, and he was much happier. I wasn't though as it was much harder to keep track of accidents. So I switched to cloth training pants, and alternate between those and underpants now. Yesterday he suprised me by initiating 2x at play group, and letting me sit him on the potty at soft play. He was in undies all that time, and I only changed him after he'd had a poop accident and it was time to go and have a nap. Somtimes he's much more accident prone outa nd about, but for him, it's a slow road and I think we're making progress.

I guess I'd say it can't hurt to try pull ups, but I prefer cloth training pants. I only really tried pull ups b/c he was getting upset by his accidents in public, so I was trying to balance things. If they're not bothered in that way, try either keeping them in panties or training pants and see how you get in for a few weeks maybe?

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • We have really only been at this for about 2/3 weeks, but DD is doing so great. However, she refuses to go in public restrooms. Or at school. She is fine at grandmas' houses, and other friends (with reminders from me).

Out, out, ummmmmm, I bring her frog potty and put it in the back of my SUV. I make her try to go before and after an outing, before we get in the carseat. And in all honesty, we have started using pull ups when we do this. We tried panties, and it was miserable for me, and for her. The first time (after being 100% at home) she refused to go everywhre, and had about 4 accidents in an hour. It was horrible. 

I am crossing this bridge once she is 100% everywhere else for the most part. I think it is a lot to expect for such a new skill. 

• Loading the player...
  • So I have decided to just do pull ups when we are on outings. I did buy a travel potty that I am trying to work with them on using when we go out, but for now, it is just too stressful with 2 of them to get them to stop playing at a park and go to the bathroom, get there before having an accident and both at the same time. Since they do so well at home and at realatives houses where a potty is readily available to them, I am not going to stress us all out about it and force them to be in panties. They are still new at it and young for most kids that potty train, so I am thinking this will come in time.

Just was hoping to be out of pull ups soon, except for nap and bedtime because they are really expensive, especially when it is times 2! But somethings you just can't force and I think this is one of them.

Thanks ladies for the insight

• imageregenab:

So I have decided to just do pull ups when we are on outings. I did buy a travel potty that I am trying to work with them on using when we go out, but for now, it is just too stressful with 2 of them to get them to stop playing at a park and go to the bathroom, get there before having an accident and both at the same time. Since they do so well at home and at realatives houses where a potty is readily available to them, I am not going to stress us all out about it and force them to be in panties. They are still new at it and young for most kids that potty train, so I am thinking this will come in time.

Just was hoping to be out of pull ups soon, except for nap and bedtime because they are really expensive, especially when it is times 2! But somethings you just can't force and I think this is one of them.

Thanks ladies for the insight

Like I said in my PP, this is what we decided to do. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. They (your girls and mine) are doing so great for being so young, I think we should focus on that. The rest will come with time. If DD is FULLY pt by 3, I will be very happy, and we will still be ahead of a lot of kids! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"