South Florida Babies
Options

Long update...before I take a nap! :)

Hi girls! I am tired so before I succumb to it yet again I thought I would share an update with you. :) I hope everyone is doing great. Day 6 as a healing mommy of two here. Life is a whirlwind but awesome.

Isabelle's birth was an experience. The delivary itself was a little more intense than I remember Sophia's being. I felt a lot more of the tugging and pulling and pressure during the c-section. No pain but just....more. Not sure if its because I was paying attention or if there was just more. Then she was here and screaming her head off and I was ecstatic. She came out complaining and complained the whole time they cleaned her and wrapped her. LOL. She is still a complainer. You move her or shift her before she is ready and she whines. She screams with anger the whole time you change her diaper. Its so funny. She hates having a dirty diaper. Dude, Sophia could sit in *** all day and not make a noise. This one realizes she is pooped and cries until she is clean again. She loves being swaddled. LOVES IT! She gives me three hours at a time in between feedings at night, during the day it can be more or less. She smells me and she wants to eat.  She loves to nurse. She is doing great and gaining weight. She is just a little rough on me. Sophia was a very gentle nurser....Isabelle goes right to it. So, I have been applying Lanolin cream to the girls very regularly. 

The kid opens her mouth huge to cry but I cannot get near the same size before she latches. OUCH! Any tips???

Does that sound like a lot of negative? I hope it does not come off that way. She is such a great baby. Other than those little aspects of her personality that are amusing to me right now....she sleeps. She smiles. She is such a sweetheart. We are all totally in love with her.

Sophia is doing great with her sister. Kisses her, wants to hold her, talks about her, sings to her and about her. Brings her toys. Its super sweet. Last night she made me bring in Isabelle so that she could hug and kiss her goodnight and spent a good five minutes trying to talk me into letting Isabelle sleep with her. Haha. Aside from that, Sophia is adjusting with some difficulty. We have had some behaviorial issues, a lot of testing towards me and Abel. This is all normal but it hurts me because as smart as Sophia is....she is just three years old (almost) and still a baby herself. Still - this is an adjustment she has to get used to so while I may feel guilty and horomonallly emotional on the inside, I am staying strong with her. Yesterday was her first day back at daycare and she had "so much fun" with her friends. But at home, Mom and Dad did not have so much fun. By the time she went to bed, we were exhausted and I burst into tears. I love that kid...and she is driving me crazy.

I just tell myself that this is all normal and that this too shall pass. Again, tho...any tips???

I am healing well. This c-section has been harder on me. I heard the second always is but whoa. Still, every day I feel better and soon I will feel 100% which will also help me with Sophia. I cannot do much with her right now and I think that is adding to my guilt. I cannot squat and hug her. I cannot lift her or bathe her. But yet she sees me doing all that with Isabelle. Man, mommy guilty sucks!

Truth be told, I am enjoying these initial days with Isabelle like you would not believe. She looks so much like Sophia. So much hair...only her eyes are gray! This is unusual for my family. Sophia's eyes came out dark. It makes me wonder if Isabelle's will be blue or green like my dad's side.

...and that is me. I am going to sleep now. :) Good morning!

ox,

Mel 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Long update...before I take a nap! :)

• Options
    just wanted to congratulate you again! your two girls are beautiful!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Oh Mel!  Thanks so much for sharing your experience.  Sorry you are having some trouble with Ms Sophia, but she just needs to adjust to not being the center of attention any longer - but the way she treats Isabelle, sounds like it may be soon!

FYI - at my birthing class, they mentioned that they don't recommend the Lanonlin... mostly b/c of the taste to the baby - they may reject it.  If she is doing fine, then no worries, right?  Instead, they did recommend olive oil.  Just wanted to give you that heads up... maybe it would help w/ her opening wider?!  I have no clue!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mel, it's good to hear an update! Congratulations and I'm sending you lots of positive vibes for a quick recovery and less mommy guilt!
  • Options

Big hug to you Mel!!! And your doing a great job being a mommy of 2 plus recovering from surgery!! I know it is hard but try not to feel guilty, you are in recovery phase and need to care for yourself before you can fully dedicate yourself to your 2 lovely girls. Isabelle sounds a lot like Ethan - the way they sleep, eat, diaper change. lol

The only tips I can really give in terms of latch are (1) give it time, she is still learning and (2) tickle the side of her mouth when it is half open and they sometimes open their mouth wider. Ethan did the same to me and my ladies were sore and cracked for 3-4 days but then eventually he became the champ of latch and haven't had an issue since.

And what can I tell you about big sibling...we have been struggling quite a bit with Evan as well and he's a year younger than Sophia so his understanding level is much less. Things that have worked...

1. Giving him full attention in spurts - meaning no baby around - I tell him stories, play with him...and these are the times he is at his best.

2. My pedi recommended this - Evan likes watching Jack Johnson videos so I put him in his highchair to watch. I then come up to him and block the computer view and tell him " I love you" and hug him...he of course pulls me back to watch the video. It's a way to show you care but he at the same time is showing signs of independence. This has worked somewhat, but you can give it a try.

3. Letting him participate with babies needs like changing diapers, cleaning "spit up." He tends to get excited about this. I am sure Sophia will not have a problem with this as she is mommy's little helper.  ;)

4. Dawn gave some great advice once - don't change your toddlers routine; have the baby adapt to this routine eventually. Also, if both babies are crying at the same time; attend  to toddler 1st; the baby won't remember. Thank Dawn; these were great tips! ;)

This is what I've experienced thus far and would love to see if others have any other tips. It can take a while for big sibling to adapt to the change so try not to get discouraged. You will cry, get angry, frustrated, but know that things will get better. My pedi told me that it can be several months; I think he said like 8 mths, to adapt to the new addition to the family.  I am a pretty patient person and must admit I have lost my cool at times...but I really try not to because it only makes matters worse. Evan tends to sense the vibe and thinks you are taking it out on him.

Mel, everything you are going through is completely normal. And the hormones sure don't help; you will start feeling better once they level out a bit. I wish you a speedy recovery and enjoy every moment with your 2 precious girls!

Laura 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Mel just wanted to say congratulations again. Bless Isabelle and sophia. You have 2 precious girls. Smile

• Options

Congratulations!  I've been following on FB and the pics are adorable!

I don't have any tips, but Albah gives some great recommendations which I will make note of for future use!

Good luck and hang in there! 

• Options
    You are doing a Fantastic job!  I feel your mommy guilt pain...just keep reminding yourself that kids are resilient and S will adapt to the changes eventually.  THe only thing I can think of with regards to the sibling thing - is try not to change the routine too much, spend alone time with S even if its reading to her in bed, and include in her in baby duty things like someone already mentioned.  Try and take it easy while you are recovering.  Congratulations again - your daughters are beautiful!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"