Indiana Babies
Options

s/o BF vs FF re: starting solids

This isn't meant to cause drama, I'm just curious!  On the 3-6 boards, it seemed like FF parents started solids earlier--around 4-5 months.  And BF parents started around 6 months.  What did you all do?

I have a theory as to why FF tended to start earlier, but I won't go into that.  I EBF and started solids at 6.

Re: s/o BF vs FF re: starting solids

• Options
    I was still nursing when we started solids at 4 months but we started FFing shortly after.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    BF and started solids at 6 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wanted to wait till 6 months and at that point we were FF but we actually started at 5.5 mos and by 6 mos he was good to go with understanding how to eat solids.  I really wanted to wait awhile because I didnt want to complicate meals more - we had finally got the bottles figured out.  I'm glad we waited till 5.5 mos.
  • Options

I EPd for 4.5 months and we were one a mixture of formula and BM at like 4 months.  We didn't start solids until almost 6.5 months (she was sick for a week or so at the 6 month mark). 

I'd like to hear your theory! 

• Options
    Primarily BF, but supplementing with formula.  Started solids at 6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrs.melluvslogan:

I EPd for 4.5 months and we were one a mixture of formula and BM at like 4 months.  We didn't start solids until almost 6.5 months (she was sick for a week or so at the 6 month mark). 

Lol, I really don't want to start drama with my theory!  It's not meant to, so here it goes: BF moms think they are giving their child the best with BM, so they just want to wait on the solids because they think BM is the best for them.  Also, a lot of BF moms seem to make 6 months their goal for breastfeeding, so they don't want to compromise that.   

• Options
    I've noticed that among friends and family too. EBF started solids at 5 months bc she was still nursing every 2- 3 hours during the day so pedi suggests starting solids to try and space the nursing sessions out more. It didn't help at all!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We FF and started DS on solids at 6M. With DD, we FF and started her on solids at 5M (got the OK from pedi at 4m). We started earlier with her because we were excited to try something new with her. With DS, we thought "whats the rush?"

• Options

EPed - started solids at 3 months adjusted / 6 months actual but because they wanted Andrew to have more practice (so we started early).

With #2 regardless of FF or BF, I plan to wait until closer to 6 months since it seems sort of pointless at 4 months.

• Options
    I BF/pumped for 4 months and couldn't do it any longer because of suppy issues so FF after that but didn't start solids until 6 months.  I think and hope most moms try to give/do their best for the babies and make decisions based on that...at least I did.
  • Options
    imageMommaMcG:
    imagemrs.melluvslogan:

Lol, I really don't want to start drama with my theory!  It's not meant to, so here it goes: BF moms think they are giving their child the best with BM, so they just want to wait on the solids because they think BM is the best for them.  Also, a lot of BF moms seem to make 6 months their goal for breastfeeding, so they don't want to compromise that.   

I think that makes sense.  I think it depends on your pedi, also.  Ours gave us the go ahead at 4 months, but said that he prefers/recommends waiting until 6 months when I said that's what we were going to do.  He said that waiting longer is better, but gives the go ahead at 4 months because parents are anxious to start. 

• Options

Isn't there something about BF babies and the "virgin gut" - I think that would encourage you to wait until 6m+ too.

Jackson was FF and we started solids around 5.5m, but the only reason we started at that point was because of his reflux.  He would never take thickened feeds in the bottle, so we started cereal at that point to see if it would help with his spitting up.  It did.  We waited at least a month, maybe more to start fruits/veggies after that because we were hoping he would outgrow the reflux before the food got more colorful.  Luckily it worked out and he was spitting up far less around 6.5-7m old which is when we started fruits/veggies.

With Scarlett, barring any reflux issues, we probably won't start solids until 6-7m old and we'll probably use BLW, which is what we mostly did with Jackson.  He wasn't real into purees and was fascinated by food, so we started soft table foods pretty early.  He was fully on non-purees by 8-9m old.

• Options

imageeclaires:
    He was fully on non-purees by 8-9m old.

JealousE.  We're still on purees.  He eats very little table food :/

• Options
    We BF and supplement at daycare with formula when needed.  We are waiting until 6 months.
  • Options
    I EBF and started solids around 5 months.  We were trying to wait BUT she was very interested in eating/ doing what we did.  
  • Options

imageVal&B0604:
    I EBF and started solids around 5 months.  We were trying to wait BUT she was very interested in eating/ doing what we did.  

Ditto - except I was EPing.  

• Options
    imagefruitcakes:

imageVal&B0604:

Ditto - except I was EPing.  

Ditto 3. Also, the claims to wait because of allergies are unfounded. They've done more tests/studies and there's no link. Same thing with waiting until 12 months for peanuts and such. 

• Options

imageIU_baby:
    Primarily BF, but supplementing with formula.  Started solids at 6 months.

This

• Options
    I pumped/supplemented with formula for 2 months and then was completely on formula after that because I dried up.  We started solids at 6 months actual (4 months adjusted).  We got the go-ahead from pedi at 4 months actual (2 months adjusted) if we wanted but we weren't in any hurry.
  • Options
    I don't think your theory is far off, IMO. I EBF and I've always wanted LO to have only breastmilk until 6 months. Now I'm considering starting cereal a tad sooner, at 5.5+ months. She's been "ready" for quite awhile but I keep reminding myself of my goals and breastmilk being better for her than the solids.
    It's hard to say, but I honestly think we would have started solids earlier had she been FF. Part of this would also be because I'd be less educated on when to start solids (since I've done so much "research" on continuing to EBF vs starting solids).
  • Options
    I was supplementing but we didn't even attempt solids until after 6m. It was a big fat FAIL, so we started again at 8m.
    Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I (still) EBF and we started solids at 4 months.  He was very interested, and while I had wanted to wait until 6 months, I couldn't deny him something he was very interested in.  We did rice cereal for about 2 weeks, and then started added purees.  For me, starting earlier made no difference in my supply, but we all know that I'm a dairy cow.  Smile
  • Options

I pumped and supplemented with formula until around 6 weeks when I dried up (had major supply issues do to medical complications.)

I introduced cereal at around 4.5 months, maybe? They didn't have much interest, so I would only try giving a small amount once every other week or so. I wasn't in a rush. They just recently started being more interested (at 7.5 months), so now they're getting some solids once or twice a day on most days.

• Options

imageKarlaRN:
    , but we all know that I'm a dairy cow.  Smile

tee hee

that made me smile

I so do not miss pumping.

I so miss the big dairy cow boobies.

• Options
    imagelemen99:

imageKarlaRN:

tee hee

that made me smile

LOL!  I can't wait till my dairy cow boobies deflate again!  

• Options
    imageMommaMcG:
    imagelemen99:

imageKarlaRN:

tee hee

that made me smile

LOL!  I can't wait till my dairy cow boobies deflate again!  

Oh wait, that would mean I'm a dairy cow now.  I'm so not, unfortunately. Stick out tongue

• Options
    I relate to your theory. I didn't even want to think about starting solids until 6mos because 1. I thought she was getting the most she needed by EBF. 2. I loved EBF and didn't want to stop yet. That being said, we started cereal around 5.5mos and then started fruits around 6mos. I was fine with that decision and may do just the same for the next we have. I was so set with waiting until 6mos, but when the pedi gave us the go ahead around 5, it made me rethink and so we tried at 5.5mos.
    ~Micah and Danae 6-17-06~
    ~GRACIE JEAN 7-5-08~

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"