Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Yellow mucous gunk in one eye-2 weeks old

My LO has a yellowish discharge coming from one eye only. It's been about three or four days. It was only a little at first but now when he wakes up it's all encrusted. I wipe it away with a wet washcloth. His actual eye doesn't look red or irritated at all. Is this normal newborn gunk or should I call the doctor?

Clueless New Mom

Re: Yellow mucous gunk in one eye-2 weeks old

• It's probably a clogged tear duct.  It's worth calling your pedi just to get their opinion on it, and they might prescribe an ointment to put on it a few times a day.  They'll also tell you to massage the inner corner of the eye a few times a day with your pinky finger to help open it up.  My son's just finally opened up within the last couple of weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sounds like a clogged tear duct.  Call ur Dr.  Keep wiping it away with a wash cloth.  My friend LO had this they gave her drps and are doing surgery next month.  They wouldnt do surg till she was like 18mo.

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • imageJanWIBride:

Sounds like a clogged tear duct.  Call ur Dr.  Keep wiping it away with a wash cloth.  My friend LO had this they gave her drps and are doing surgery next month.  They wouldnt do surg till she was like 18mo.

GL!

Way to be an alarmist. 

My LO has had this happen a few times. My pedi said to do a warm compress and massage the corner of the affected eye with my pinky just as the pp said. I also wiped it any time gunk would build up and wouldn't let tears collect in the corner. It cleared up in 1-2 days both times.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • clogged tear duct. We had the same issue. As pp stated, call your pedi and  you will most likely get an ointment. DD's tear duct opened a few weeks ago because haven't seen any mucous stuff for a while now.

When I first saw it, I was just a clueless and felt silly calling the pedi, but from what I have been told, then have heard almost everything before. =)

good luck!

• Yep, clogged duct. DS has had it since he was born.  When it's yellowish/green, it might be infected (DS's has been twice).  The pedi has him on 10 days of Amoxicillin again.

Apparently, since tears get stuck in there, it's easy for the eye to become infected.

Our pedi said it can take up to 9 months for it to open up and stop being goopy/infected. Super.

Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
    "Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy
  • You guys are awesome. I called pedi and am waiting for a call back but it sounds like a clogged tear duct from all of your experiences. I'll let you know what she says. Thank you!!!
  • Cole's right eye had a clog early - around 1 week, and it went away within a few days, but his left eye has been clogged for a while, most days just a little gunk, some days there's more, but our dr said as long as his eye isn't red not to worry too much, just keep clearing and massaging it a few times a day, and if it doesn't fix itself by about 6 months she'd do a simple in office procedure to open it. 
    7 June 2009 - natural miscarriage at 10 weeks
    6 Sept 2009 - natural miscarriage at 9 weeks Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageLaura_Lee:

It's probably a clogged tear duct.  It's worth calling your pedi just to get their opinion on it, and they might prescribe an ointment to put on it a few times a day.  They'll also tell you to massage the inner corner of the eye a few times a day with your pinky finger to help open it up.  My son's just finally opened up within the last couple of weeks. 

This exactly.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely a clogged duct--Levi had it for several weeks. My pedi told us to use a warm, wet washcloth and gently massage the hard little knot right by the eye. It cleared up without medicine and hasn't been back since ;)
  • My son had the same thing.  His pediatrcian said to use warm compresses as the other mom's have already mentioned but also to put a little breastmilk in his eye because it has a ton of antibodies in it.  I did this and it cleared up right away
    Aaden18mos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Addie NewbornBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This exactly.

• Yup, pedi confirmed clog tear duct. She said to clean w/ washcloth or cotton ball and not to worry unless his eye gets red.

Babies' bodies are weird. Stick out tongue

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"